US Ellipsoid to Smilies Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Ellipsoid to Smilies Help

So I've searched on how to properly do this conversion but ultimately just keep ending up with tutorials on how to go from sealed beams to euro smilies. I just got a set of Depo smoked smilies and really want to figure out how to properly wire these up. Im confused as to if they're plug and play because I already have US Ellips, or if i need get female connectors to wire them up. Could someone please list what i need in terms of parts to properly do this, or redirect me to a detailed thread showing this. Also, if anyone is in the San Diego area id appreciate the help if you could show me :)

The top two are the high and low beam connectors (black & Gray) and the bottom is the city light (black connector with larger prongs). Not sure if this helps
    Attached Files

Comment

You have the right wiring, you need the correct plugs on the chassis side. You'll also have to tap into a running light if you want to use the city lights.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
        You have the right wiring, you need the correct plugs on the chassis side. You'll also have to tap into a running light if you want to use the city lights.
        Where would i get the correct plugs on the chassis side? I'm assuming it would be as easy as splicing the wires and tripping/soldering the new ones on? and i was thinking of connecting the city light to the side markers, but I'm not sure how to on that one either

Comment

Actually, those plugs look different than the ones on my Bosch smilies. You still have to match them, just not sure what they are.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Just cut the plug off the car, attach the new plug to the wires (making sure the wires are correctly matched!), and seal from the weather. You splice the wire from the city light into the wire from the running light and seal that as well.

Comment

You have everything you need. DEPO's harness is made for cars with US ellipsoids so do not cut your 9006/9005 harness. You just need to make sure of the polarity before you put the 2 female terminals over the males and make sure they go on snug. This harness is DEPO's way of making it plug and play for cars with US ellipsoids but they cheaped out by not providing water tight female terminals inside of the proper connector. I wired up them as is and haven't had a problem but the right way to do it is order the proper watertight terminals and connectors $.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                You have everything you need. DEPO's harness is made for cars with US ellipsoids so do not cut your 9006/9005 harness. You just need to make sure of the polarity before you put the 2 female terminals over the males and make sure they go on snug. This harness is DEPO's way of making it plug and play for cars with US ellipsoids but they cheaped out by not providing water tight female terminals inside of the proper connector. I wired up them as is and haven't had a problem but the right way to do it is order the proper watertight terminals and connectors $.
                Being that we're both from socal, you understand the whole rain situation haha. do you think i could get away with plug and play and then wrapping a little duck tape or electrical tape over the adaptors? id assume the fuse would go out if any water did happen to get in, right? also how much would it be to get new waterproof male and female adaptors?

Comment

I live in rain country and electrical taped my smileys with butt connectors. Still good

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by HooptE30 View Post
                    Being that we're both from socal, you understand the whole rain situation haha. do you think i could get away with plug and play and then wrapping a little duck tape or electrical tape over the adaptors? id assume the fuse would go out if any water did happen to get in, right? also how much would it be to get new waterproof male and female adaptors?
                    Sure you can. Taping the connectors down is a good idea. For all 12 female terminals with wiring @ $5-7 each + connectors but like I said, it's not a big deal where we are.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. The more you know!

Comment

Polarity doesn't matter on a light bulb. It will work either way.

Comment

Got them installed last night, Thanks for The info everyone! Got a pair of US ellipsoids for sale too now if anyone wants them haha

Comment

Working...
                          X