Restoring Old Glass Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring Old Glass Windows

Recently picked up a 34 year old car - an E21 actually - to accompany my E30.
    This is a project car. It sat outside for 12 years.

My question is, as im cleaning 12 years of grime of this car, how do I treat issues with the windshield? There is a half moon streak from the wipers that windex and several baths with Meguiars arent removing.

Any suggestions? My *new* baby thanks you.

That sounds more like a scratch from the wiper arm sweeping with no wiper attached.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

old wipers. i assumed it was from worn out wipers having been used before the car was permanently parked in sun, rain. there are no scratches or unevenness but the streak is about 1-2" tall and has a kind of greyish haze.
      there is a different window - another streak - not scratch - that has no feel to the touch. looks white on the window. hoping to find something to clean both.

good glass cleaner suggestions
      will try to post a pic tomorrow. :)

Comment

Griot makes a glass polish. I've never used it and am sure they are not the only ones but it's worth a try
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Glass polish is done with a suspended ceridium oxide based polish and a rayon pad on a rotary polisher (dual actions just don't have the power).
          It takes a long time and some knowledge to do it correctly.

If there is a contaminant that can be removed then try using clay on your glass.
          If you could feel it then I'd recommend some good glass cleaner (such as Stoner's) and a razor blade with a long handle.

Comment

Thanks. Tried a razor blade today. There is nothing to scrape. It looks like minute scratches but feels smooth to the touch. I will pick up some of the cleaners and give them a shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd go with the polish and a polishing pad on a dual action or a rotary for that.

Comment

You may also think if getting a new windshield is a better option, the prices are not very high depending on location. You may get one installed for maybe less than $150, which might be better than the hassle of trying to fix that if it is scratched.

Comment

I have not used it but need to try it on my Yukon. Amazon had a company, can't remember if it was chemical guys, but a clay bar designed for use on wax. Maybe that would help...

Comment

I tried this on my 86s original windshield.
                    It was better when I was done but not perfect.

Comment

Does your insurance have full glass coverage?
                      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Polishing glass is such an endeavor, rarely would it be cost effective. Even more so when speaking of an item as large as a windshield. Simply replace the glass if you want crysstal clear glass.

Then it will last for a few weeks.
                        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                        X