Buy american - save the planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy american - save the planet?

Would you agree if not for anything else, buying from a country with an EPA style program, you are doing your part to not keep in business companies which are polluting the planet?
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

American cars are rubbish. They except for a select few cannot go around corners, and all are made of the shittyest materials and appear to be designed and assembled by a bunch of stoned monkeys.

and dont foreign car companies ( mostly asian ones) have some of the cleanest and most low polluting efficient factories of all auto compaines? Or is that all just a lie?

Comment

I don't think this is strictly about cars.

It's mostly agribusiness that fucks with the planet so bad. Also where the energy for manufacturing comes from.

What he's suggesting is that by buying products solely from countries where they actually monitor their resources and pollution, we'd be better off. I'd have to agree (not necessarily from a budget standpoint.. but we all end up paying the price for pollution in the end).

Comment

If every American bought solely from US companies, making their products in the US, it wouldnt change a damn thing. it might make a dent in the profts of the Chinese manufacturing sector, but they sell to other countries aswell, they are not going to go bankrupt and close up shop. They will just keep on making stuff. The US isnt the only market for Chinese goods.

I use china as an example, but there are others who have minimal or no environmental laws, such as russia, east europe, india, africa, and the rest of south east asia.

Its just like buying a hybrid, your not really going to make the world any less polluted. Buying US made may be a noble idea, and does keep some jobs here, but thinking that buying US products or west european products will make any change at all in how polluted the world is is unrealistic. It dosent change anything.
        Last edited by ALYKZANDYR; 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I think buying U.S. stuff is a good idea, but buying locally produced stuff is more important. The less petroleum it takes to get a product from it's point of origin to your house the better. Of course the problem is that hardly anyone knows how to or actually makes anything locally anymore.

Comment

I try not to support anything in the US that has a connection to the unions.

Pollution of the planet is not even close to one of the reasons I do or do not support something.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by ALYKZANDYR View Post
              American cars are rubbish. They except for a select few cannot go around corners, and all are made of the shittyest materials and appear to be designed and assembled by a bunch of stoned monkeys.

and dont foreign car companies ( mostly asian ones) have some of the cleanest and most low polluting efficient factories of all auto compaines? Or is that all just a lie?
              I don't know what to say without going into a personal attack. I've been a American factory worker since i got out of high school. I just pisses me off hearing that US goods are junk. With this mentality, its even a wonder that there is even ANY factorys left here in the USA. But i guess it's cool to say goods that are made here in the USA is junk since everyone is doing it. Now i'm glad i go to work to screw off and make junk that i proudly would put my name on

This is also a good thread to put this site up on, http://www.smarterusa.com/forum/

And the guy who started it. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=178533

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Maybe we should buy American....uhh....oil....err....wait...........wh at?
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                  I don't know what to say without going into a personal attack. I've been a American factory worker since i got out of high school. I just pisses me off hearing that US goods are junk. With this mentality, its even a wonder that there is even ANY factorys left here in the USA. But i guess it's cool to say goods that are made here in the USA is junk since everyone is doing it. Now i'm glad i go to work to screw off and make junk that i proudly would put my name on
                  Ok, i should have made it more clear. i was adressing the completed american car as a whole. I roade in a current gen chrysler sebring the other day, and was disappointed in the cheapness of the materials and the build quality.

Im not sayign that ALL american goods are shit. Not by any means. There are many american products that are very well made. Just when it comes to The US auto industry, if they made the cars less ugly, used less chrome, made them not handle like boats, and used better materials in the interior, and made the interior panels line up and fit better then id be more impressed with the COMPLETED CAR. The componets that make the car work, are of good quality, just im not impressed with the bits i come in contact with as a driver or as a passenger.

However, one car i am impressed with is the current gen caddilac CTS, i sat in one and it appeared to be well made inside and out.

I have much respect for those who still make things here, my original post wasnt against factory workers. Most of the small shops in my are have gone under, it is sad to see.

Out of curisoity, what is it that you make JasonC?

Comment

Yea buy German Engineering product's they are made in America.
                    www.CASTROMOTORSPORT.com

Castro Motorsport
                    12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
                    North Hollywood, CA 91605
                    818-765-3606

Follow Castro's on Facebook:
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castro...02411516506828

Follow Castro's on Instagram:
                    http://instagram.com/castromotorsport#

sigpic

Comment

American cars are rubbish.
                      Not many of them are made in America nowadays. Buy a Toyota if you want a *mostly* American car.
                      Last edited by shiftbmw; 09-14-2010, 07:34 AM.
                      sigpic
                      "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

The side effect of buying products made in China or India is that it is exporting polution too. Sadly, the choice is clear. A jobless America with clean air, or a poluted working US. Sad.
                        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post

This is also a good thread to put this site up on, http://www.smarterusa.com/forum/

And the guy who started it. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=178533
                          Amen. Granted American cars were suffering a bit in terms of quality, but they're definitely catching up with the most recent batch of new offerings. I'd definitely still prefer a German brand, but just give the Americans some time to catch up atleast.
                          Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                          Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Out of curisoity, what is it that you make JasonC?
                            I work for American Woodmark. http://www.americanwoodmark.com/

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Just remember a large percentage of 'American' cars are made in Canada and Mexico. Many Chevy & Ford trucks and cars are made over (one of the) borders.

Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, Subaru and BMW all manufacture a good amount of there cars here in the USA though.

Interesting....

Comment

Working...
                              X