Vintage E30 enduro footage: IMSA Firehawk series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage E30 enduro footage: IMSA Firehawk series

As most of you probably know, the E30 was a popular platform in the IMSA Firestone Firehawk series. I got to thinking about this as we've had some discussion lately about revalving Bilstein Sport dampers to "Firehawk spec." Well, this is the Firehawk they're referring to:

You only see glimpses of the E30, as the Firehawk series came to be dominated by the 944, CRX, and Saturn.
    Last edited by Emre; 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

I wonder how "trick" those car's were...I recall Ray Korman did well early on .

why revalve to series specs?..do you now the springs used??..cool idea though.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Pics aren't coming through atm
      ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
        why revalve to series specs?..do you know the springs used??..cool idea though.
        By and large, the springs used were BMW's own Gruppe-N springs and the dampers used were revalved Bilstein Sports, which came to be known as "Firehawk spec."

Guess what TMS "J-Stock" springs and dampers were based on ;)

Originally posted by Scallywagon View Post
        Pics aren't coming through atm
        Thanks. Links fixed!
        sigpic
        1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
        2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

J stock....

ahhhh......never knew that.

cool tidbit.

Comment

Thanks for posting Emre, I never even thought to look up Showroom Stock racing in the US... This is interesting to watch and see a lot of familiar names popping up!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Anyone have any idea what an original IMSA spec E30 with log book would be worth these days in good condition and fully rebuilt? I have been searching everywhere with no luck..thanks in advance

Comment

value?...that would depend on many factors..

provenance, like drivers, winning record etc etc..

my guess?..from 15k on up..maybe even 10 k on up...

...it really wasnt a series w/ a huge wow factor...or wow cars

I know some 968 cars get some nice coin.

Comment

Firehawk

Emre,

Thanks for posting the videos. I participated in a few of those events back then.

You are correct that Ray Korman did pretty well with a 325e (won the 24hrs of the Glen in 87 or 88 with John Andretti as one of the drivers) early on and then a couple of different E30 M3s. I remember the early E30 M3 was pretty competitive in 88 and 89 vs. the early 2.5 litre Porsche 944s and 944S 16 valve. When the Porsche 944S2 came out though with the 3 litre engine and big brakes, they dominated the 90-92 seasons.

There were a few 325is cars in the Sports class but only a few and they were not terribly competitive. The turbo Mitsubishis, the turbo MR2s, and the oddball Olds Quad 4s were faster. Plus, consdiering a new 325is was $30,000 back then not many were converted to race cars. The same $30,000 would buy someone a factory lightweight 944S2 that could run up front in the premier GS class.

Realtive to ex-Firehawk cars - One of Korman's E30 M3s has been restored and shows up at some CCA races. I believe it is owned by Scott Hughes but I am not 100% sure.

Relative to the 325e and 325is cars that competed in the Sports class, I'd be surpirsed if any still exist. Most were sold off to SCCA guys who ran them in ITA (eta) and ITS (is) and I would bet most all have been trashed by now. I hope someone here can prove me wrong about that and learn that one might still exist.

Don
                  Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

Learn more about BaT Exclusive: IMSA Firehawk 1987 BMW 325is on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

One that was for sale a while back..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I have a 325is that competed in the Firestone Firehawk series as well as IMSA IS series. The car was built by TC Kline and driven by TC and RAndy Pobst. I love this E30 it is a fun drive for sure. Also in surprisingly great condition being retired and then stored in climate control until recently.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the car in period driven by Randy Pobst
                        Attached Files

Comment

interior of the car as it sits today
                          Attached Files

Comment

Interior2
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very cool!