The r3v autocross video thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
    I'm not following you here--a slalom is a constant direction change.

Tinker, you are transitioning very slowly from left to right; your steering input is like a sine wave. If you were going as fast as you could through that slalom your steering input would be more like a square wave. Full left when you are on the right side of the centerline, and as you cross the centerline you quickly transition to full right. Keep throttle inputs as steady as possible so as not to upset the car.

I think if you had a long slalom you would do this naturally by slowly increasing your speed. If I were you I would try and go faster than you want to through a slalom and see how you handle it. When you get to the point that you are doing what I described, don't go any faster. :p

I spoke with my codriver and it looks like pro solo is likely. I'll try and let you know.
    That's what I was trying to get at (though poorly). I don't know how to adequately describe backsiding a cone without being there in person. If you transition back when you cross the center line you're ahead of the element, as opposed to waiting until you reach it to drive around it. Waiting for the element won't get you out of sorts for the first one or two, but after that you end up so close to the next cone you have to slow way down or take a bad line.

And it isn't just the slalom, it's other elements as well. You generally need to turn earlier than you think you do until you get used to it. It took me a while to learn it, but once I did my driving and times improved greatly.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I follow what you guys are saying about steering inputs needing to be more aggressive and earlier for other elements of the course. The sine wave vs square wave is a great example :up: I'll try to put this into practice at the next event.

Comment

What's up man, it's Ross with the white e30. Nice run, I am seriously contemplating some TRM C1's like yours with streetable track/auto-x tires.
        1989 325i coupe 5MT Alpine White
        2003.5 M3 coupe 6MT Silver Gray

Comment

Thanks Ross! 15x8 trm c1's with 205/50/15 BFG Rivals would be a great combo. A few of the guys i've talked to who are running them say they work great at El Toro.

Comment

Any issues fitting 15x8's in unmodified e30 fenders? I thought 205's were better for 15x7's, would you still put 205's on 8 inch wide wheels, and not 225's?

Thanks man.
            1989 325i coupe 5MT Alpine White
            2003.5 M3 coupe 6MT Silver Gray

Comment

Originally posted by nyy e90 View Post
              Any issues fitting 15x8's in unmodified e30 fenders? I thought 205's were better for 15x7's, would you still put 205's on 8 inch wide wheels, and not 225's?

Thanks man.
              Yes, 205s can go on 8" wide rims.

FYI 205mm is 8.07"

Comment

15x8's with 205/50 shouldn't be a problem. It's usually 225 and above where you run into issues.

205's will fit on a 7 but will perform better on an 8 like wise 225's will fit on an 8 but perform better on a 9. General rule is 195's on a 7, 205's on an 8, and 225's on a 9.

Comment

Autoxed Danny's car today. Quite a fun little thing, reminded me to get mine working again too. Video to come.. Maybe :)

Comment

Okay Danny is taking his time but I got to drive the stang in the dry this time and god DAMN.

Quickest for points (40.0)

Quickest fun run (39.2)

Comment

Damn that looks like a riot! Nice driving! Was the stang an auto or did you start out in 2nd? Do i see an LSx swap on the wheee30's horizon :p

Comment

Thread title changed to better represent content and encourage more participation :)

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                          Damn that looks like a riot! Nice driving! Was the stang an auto or did you start out in 2nd? Do i see an LSx swap on the wheee30's horizon :p
                          Thanks dude! We just launched in 2nd, I tried first once and it was pointless on street tires. I'd wager this car can get to 60 in about 4 seconds without using first gear.

LSx? At this rate it'll be a coyote motor, lol :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                            Thanks dude! We just launched in 2nd, I tried first once and it was pointless on street tires. I'd wager this car can get to 60 in about 4 seconds without using first gear.
                            Sounds like it's time for some hoho's :D

LSx? At this rate it'll be a coyote motor, lol :p
                            Haha i like the way you think, dohc ftw.

Comment

So is this a group participation thread now? (Better than starting a new thread for each video?)

Here's my run from the first Spokes autocross of the season in my 91 318is. A pin fell out of my shift linkage at the end of the first run (????) but I was able to get a bolt in there to replace it in time to finish the heat.

I've got a LOT to learn in this car. But, my goal for the day was to break 40 seconds, so I was very happy with my 39.9.

What's the trick to embedding Youtube videos? Any time I try the Youtube tag I just get a blank white box.
                              [Update: Thanks for showing me how to do it, tinkerputzer]
                              Last edited by Ocell; 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixed Youtube Tags
                              91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Yup that's why i changed the thread title. That was a nice bunch of runs. Definitely a fast open coarse. Here's a link on how to embed youtube videos.

Comment

Working...
                                X