No announcement yet.

Autocross/spirited street brake pad suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been VERY happy with HPS on the street and BP-10 for light track duty with my BBK/Manual setup.

The HPS give much better feedback and require much less pedal pressure to drive around town, and will handle a spirited hilly jaunt with ease assuming cooling is taken care of. Now when I had HPS in my stock calipers I was far less impressed since they often faded before I was ready to quit but that was before the cooling ducts as well which would have helped the stock brakes preform better as well.

Comment

Has anyone used Porterfield R4-S pads? 911 guys are all over them as a great dual purpose pad.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
        I've been VERY happy with HPS on the street and BP-10 for light track duty with my BBK/Manual setup.

The HPS give much better feedback and require much less pedal pressure to drive around town, and will handle a spirited hilly jaunt with ease assuming cooling is taken care of. Now when I had HPS in my stock calipers I was far less impressed since they often faded before I was ready to quit but that was before the cooling ducts as well which would have helped the stock brakes preform better as well.
        Whats your manual setup? And bbk setup?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
          Has anyone used Porterfield R4-S pads? 911 guys are all over them as a great dual purpose pad.
          Haha that was part of my initial question since I came up on so many positive reviews but didn't get much feedback

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            Haha that was part of my initial question since I came up on so many positive reviews but didn't get much feedback

Guess I'll have to order a set and try them out.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Do it

Shadetree30

Comment

Did you ever get around to the R4-S?

So a little update and some more info to share. I bled and bled again after an autox and got quite a bit more air out of the system which definitely helped everything. Pedal feel is quite good. At this point I really like the 20/20 MC with the manual setup and now I think it's all about the pad selection.

I now have the HP+ pads in the rear and tried out the wilwood polymatrix E compound in the front. The E compound has great cold bite and is awesome when driven hard, felt almost like a normal boosted brake setup. However, when not driven hard it develops an incredibly loud squeal through daily driving, low brake force, like stop and go traffic, slowly braking up to a stop sign. It was utterly excruciatingly loud unless you jump on them (which is not a good way to drive in traffic...)

So I stuck the BP-20s back in the front and with the back to back testing made it pretty clear how much more cold bite the E compound had.

Currently thinking about trying BP-10s or HPS in the front. I will use the E compound at the autox.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                X