No announcement yet.

300whp S52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what part of the engine are they rebuilding specifically?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I know a few teams in the late 90's/early 00's would rebuild their motor after every other race (sometimes after ever race) because engineers insisted on making the motor rev to 8k rpm. Those motors shake themselves apart after 7200. But, they did make over 300whp. Basically FI is the only reasonable way to make 300+ whp...
      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        what part of the engine are they rebuilding specifically?

Preventative bearing/ring replacement.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My buddy threw a rod at the track on his S52 OBDI conversion with supercharger. Lasted a few years, and was fast!
          1985 E30 S52, OBDI, E36 suspension
          www.e30s52.com

Comment

Thanks to you guys I'm now looking into supercharger kits.. Lol I'm leaning towards the VF kit because it looks much nicer than the AA IMO. What do you guys think? They seem to be pretty comparable, which is why I'm leaning towards the VF one.
            Originally posted by flyboyx
            how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
            Originally posted by Northern
            beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
            Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
            Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
            '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
            Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

300whp S52?

If you're going to track your car you need an intercooled setup. Otherwise you'll heat soak after 2 laps and make no power.

The kits are relatively the same, just make sure you end up with a vortech blower. The rotrex units suck

Comment

Also FYI if you get a newer V3 vortech setup you need either a 318i radiator or a custom radiator setup as the coolant port on the radiator exits into the pulley on the charger.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                  If you're going to track your car you need an intercooled setup.

The rotrex units suck
                  As someone looking into the AA stage 1 Rotrex setup for a dedicated track car these two statements concern me slightly. Can you elaborate?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spikemd View Post
                    My buddy threw a rod at the track on his S52 OBDI conversion with supercharger. Lasted a few years, and was fast!
                    How might one prevent that sort of thing? Looking for general advice on how to track a SC'd S52 without blowing anything up. Or do SC's and track cars just not go well together?

Sorry for the thread jack; this just happens to be relevant to my situation as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RacingTowardsRed View Post
                      As someone looking into the AA stage 1 Rotrex setup for a dedicated track car these two statements concern me slightly. Can you elaborate?

Originally posted by RacingTowardsRed View Post
                      How might one prevent that sort of thing? Looking for general advice on how to track a SC'd S52 without blowing anything up. Or do SC's and track cars just not go well together?

Sorry for the thread jack; this just happens to be relevant to my situation as well.

If you don't have a intercooled system, after 5 minutes of hard driving, the heat from the supercharger compressing will cause heat soak and you will make no power.

Can't speak against Rotrex systems, I've never used one.

And the best way is to keep up with maintenance on it, and don't beat the shit out of it lol.
                      Originally posted by flyboyx
                      how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                      Originally posted by Northern
                      beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                      Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                      Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                      '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                      Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Your intake temps will be so high after 2 laps that the engine might as well be NA. You won't blow anything up unless you are running high boost and the fuel detonates.

Also vortech chargers are oiled by your engine. Rotrex have a separate oiling system with cooler filled with expensive oil. They are also difficult and expensive to rebuild.

Comment

The vortech v3 sitting in the garage has it's own oil. It is also running a heat exchanger so you don't have to worry about heat soak. There are options.

Comment

as others mentioned, not with simple bolt ons.

I know a guy who is building a race motor shooting for 300 at the wheels. High compression (12.5:1 iirc), custom pistons with reliefs to allow full vanos function with wild cams, built motor and head, port and polish, 3.5 intake, maf, BBTB, headers, 24lb injectors (iirc), race fuel (110 octane iirc) and a custom dyno tune. I'm probably forgetting one or two things

car is track only..
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

OBD1 converted S52 with 11.5 comp pistons, a 3.5 maf, 21.5lbs injectors, stock head, stock cams, SS headers and a 3inch exhaust, tuned with a Miller WAR chip puts down 255whp on a dynojet.

Comment

Working...
                              X