Renown USA 100 Motorsport Suede steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renown USA 100 Motorsport Suede steering wheel

Hi r3v. I just wanted to do a quick review of the Renown USA 100 steering wheel. My particular wheel is with the Motorsport Suede option. You also have the option of just leather with M stitching. The wheel requires a MOMO hub adapter. There are cheaper options but nothing that is worth attaching to this beautifully made steering wheel. With the MOMO hub adapter you will get what you payed for; quality.

I did take my car to some twisties with the wheel and I have to say, it was exceptional. The quality is top notch and it feels like it too. The wheel is a deep dish model, so I was worried about it sticking out too much, but it actually makes the driving position great for driving. The 350mm diameter is nothing less then perfect for spirited drives, racing, or drifting for that matter.

The only complaint I might have is that with this particular model, you do have to reach a bit to be able to operate the turn signal stalk, but other than that, its a great wheel and I do recommend one. Get yours at www.renownusa.com.

Was install pretty hassle free? I currently have an airbag wheel and I'm paranoid about setting the airbag off
    '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
      Was install pretty hassle free? I currently have an airbag wheel and I'm paranoid about setting the airbag off
      For me it was easy. Mine is a non-airbag car so it's really straight forward. If you disconnect the battery you should be fine.

Comment

ya - plenty of writeups if you just google it.
        Def disconnect your battery the night before to be super safe.
        91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
        ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
          It's not an issue, I just kept your face away from the front of it. Un-clip the connector and the airbag comes off them wheel via torx screws on the backside of each spoke. Dealt with this years ago when I replaced my wheel with a standard 3-spoke non-airbag wheel.
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Are you glad you went with the extra depth of the 100? Trying to decide what wheel will fit my needs best

Comment

Originally posted by theDELO View Post
              Are you glad you went with the extra depth of the 100? Trying to decide what wheel will fit my needs best
              I have no issues with the design of the wheel, but I might consider the NRG short hub in the near future. The momo hub is good quality and all, but the NRG short hub is, well, shorter so it might offer a better driving position for some.

Comment

you can always grab late model turn stalk
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I just ordered Scott's 130R Motorsport 350mm in leather with the M stitch.

Great communication-Seems like a stand up owner and its made in the USA. I'll support small business homegrown quality anyday of the week.

+1 for Renown Wheels. FYI Levent @ Guten now supports and stocks Scott's Renown wheels in various styles. Vote of confidence.
                  If looks could kill:::

Comment

does the deep dish give your knees/legs more room?

With the chunky airbag wheel I have in mine currently, my knees will sometimes get in the way when I'm making tight turns and have to have my hand at the 6 o-clock position.
                    '91 325i

Comment

I wonder if these steering wheels fit a Nardi hub

Comment

Just ordered the same wheel but in perforated leather and momo hub. should get here next week. Cant wait.

The Build:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by *freshm3 View Post
                          I just ordered Scott's 130R Motorsport 350mm in leather with the M stitch.

Great communication-Seems like a stand up owner and its made in the USA. I'll support small business homegrown quality anyday of the week.

+1 for Renown Wheels. FYI Levent @ Guten now supports and stocks Scott's Renown wheels in various styles. Vote of confidence.
                          these are made in the USA now? where? you have my interest...
                          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                          Bimmerbuddies LLC
                          717-388-1256
                          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Im also wondering where these were made. I cant find any information online. Thanks

Comment

Sorry but I am going to be a negative Nancy, these wheels are poor quality knockoffs of momos. A buddy of mine picked up the Renown Prototipo knockoff and regrets it hugely. I didn't believe it was that bad until I drove his car, the wheel flexed like a cheapo ebay special. I have been holding back saying it, but I feel bad for the other enthusiast who are getting scammed into buying them. The only good I can say is they are wrapped nice. Maybe its because I am a track oriented guy, but I would not want one with in ten feet of my car.

If anyone is looking for a wheel my advice is to stay with brands like Momo, Sparco, Nardi, Italvolanti, OMP, Personal, or Raid. There are a few other select brands that are good.

I found that the site nineandthree.com (not affiliated, but am a customer) carry some nice wheels, but feel free to search around for other deals.

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
                              PM me for custom shift knobs and stickers!
                              Originally posted by marshallnoise
                              You ain't done working on a car unless you are bleeding.

Comment

Working...
                              X