Is this 530it worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
    Great price but I would check to make sure it has an Alusil block...

The composition of the engine can be found by checking the serial number stamped into the engine block:
    M60B30:
    · 1 725 970 - Nikasil
    · 1 741 212 - Nikasil
    · 1 745 871 - Alusil
    M60B40:
    · 1 725 963 - Nikasil
    · 1 742 998 - Nikasil
    · 1 745 872 - Alusil
    Weren't the nikasil failures pretty early in the car's life? I mean, wouldn't it be safe to say if the car made it this long, it's OK?
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Yeah I read that last night. Was up till about 12 last night.
      Where is that code usually located on the block?
      This guy seams like a nice guy. He is getting the car washed and cleaned for me tomorrow.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

This far into the game the nikisil vs alusil thing is a MOOT POINT. If it's got normal mileage on its fine. Most of them crapped out in the early staged and were replaced. Those that remain have done fine and won't just implode within the first two miles you drive the car.

Only good thing about a 530 e34 (6cyl power, 8 cyl PITA and economy) is it's super simple to swap in a M60B40. If it's a clean car, get it, drive it, then realize you need that extra liter and swap it.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

90% sure Ill buy it. I checked with DMV and Ill ow $244 in registration fees plus about $70 smog and the $2800 asking price. Thats $3,114 total
          Im going to smog it before I hand him cash. If it fails Ill drive home. If it passes Ill buy it.
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
          X