Considering swapping an m10 for an m42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering swapping an m10 for an m42

So my 85 318i is slow. Im thinking about putting in an m42 cause it'll keep a good weight balance and not use a lot of petrol. My question is would it be worth it? Or should I just say fuck it, sell my 85 and save the money I would've spent on the swap and buy a 91 e30?

M20 e30's and m42's are slow as well. Keep it, swap in a 24v or v8.

Comment

I'm not looking for a major power increase, just something that's a bit more fun as it's my daily

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post

Comment

I would say just buy a 91 318is.

I actually find the m42 is a fun engine, but probably not worth the effort to swap it in.

Comment

It's close to a 40hp gain over the m10. No brainer for me...I'd swap in the m42 or buy a car with the motor in it.

M42 turbo build.
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

sell my 85 and save the money I would've spent on the swap and buy a 91 e30?
              this. UNLESS you find a rolled is for super cheap, and you have spent thousands on making your 85 the nicest, most custom car in your precinct.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by cello2119 View Post
                I'm not looking for a major power increase, just something that's a bit more fun as it's my daily
                That's a slippery slope... Moar power equals Moar fun! Labor cost is about the same with whatever motor you use.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                  this. UNLESS you find a rolled is for super cheap, and you have spent thousands on making your 85 the nicest, most custom car in your precinct.

t
                  I reckon I'll just save my money and wait until an e30 with the m42 is for sale. Facelift parts are easier to find anyway 😁

Comment

Don't listen to the people who say that they're s00per slow and all that. My chipped and exhausted M42 is totally fine to DD through traffic. And it totally makes up for it when you give it a blat through 2nd gear :D
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      Don't listen to the people who say that they're s00per slow and all that. My chipped and exhausted M42 is totally fine to DD through traffic. And it totally makes up for it when you give it a blat through 2nd gear :D
                      Considering my m10 e30 is the quickest car I've owned (18, studying and broke :) the m42 has a lot more pick up and I can only go 110kmp/h anyway so it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                        i've outrun M5X-swapped cars and M20-turbos with my car. wrong answer.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                          i've outrun M5X-swapped cars and M20-turbos with my car. wrong answer.
                          And your car is......? An m42 318ci?

Comment

Originally posted by cello2119 View Post
                            So my 85 318i is slow. Im thinking about putting in an m42 cause it'll keep a good weight balance and not use a lot of petrol. My question is would it be worth it? Or should I just say fuck it, sell my 85 and save the money I would've spent on the swap and buy a 91 e30?
                            For what E30's cost in Australia, Save the money and buy a decent one.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              For what E30's cost in Australia, Save the money and buy a decent one.
                              That's what I reckon I'll do. I'm in south australia and there's like no e30's with the m40 or m42 that are manual or have under 300,000kms :/

Comment

Working...
                              X