No announcement yet.

How to choose a comfortable AND supportive fixed back seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got off the phone with Sube Sports and though they sold it, they didnt really recommend the Momo. He has a few different ones he recommended to me, and I will know for sure tomorrow when I actually sit in it, but it looks like it will either be the OMP TRS-E or Cobra Monaco Pro, and I really like the Monaco Pro. I will know for sure when I get there tomorrow. Might have a "fuck it" moment and get one thats more expensive. We'll see. Im trying to stay within a budget on this first seat, because it will eventually be the pass seat and I will go stupid money on the next one
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      Meh.

I've sat in quite a few different seats in various racecars/track cars over the years, and they all have issues here and there. But the reality is, when you are racing, the only thing that matters is if it's supportive enough.

Even in enduros after 2 hour stints, even the nicest seats you are sore. That's why many guys will use inserts/expanding foam/old pillows to fill the void.

If I was buying new, I'd probably get a aluminum seat like the Kirkey, and just add on the pieces I need, then make or have made an insert to match my backside needs.

I do have an older FX1, that I use for a second seat when instructing or giving rides. I am not a fan of it, because I do like a tighter seat for my narrow arse.
      :greatpost:

Comment

Ended up buying a Cobra Monaco Pro. Pretty comfortable, very supportive, great price. Im happy

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

i used to run a cobra suzuka pro in my mustang and they were comfortable. I also say in agents OMP's and they were also very nice
          Originally posted by blunttech
          Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
          :shock:

Comment

Most comfortable seat will heavily depend on your body shape, but for me the Sparco Evo2+ (taller than Evo/Evo2, not as wide as Evo 2) fits like a glove.

Story 1: I literally drove from Denver to SF in the seat (~22 hrs), trading off 4hr stints with a buddy to do the drive in a day. Passenger side is a Corbeau FX1 Pro, Driver is the Evo2+, and the difference in comfort is quite noticeable. After a passenger stint in the Corbeau I'd be sore, but after a stint in the Sparco I'd be fine physically. The only annoying thing was dealing with 6pt harnesses since seat belts weren't (aren't) installed.

I've put ~20k comfortable miles on the car since buying that seat...easily the single best purchase I've made for the car.

Story 2: I have literally slept in the seat in between track sessions and between classes back during college. It is that comfortable for me. Then again I can sleep upright in cattle class on an airplane, so....

Looks like you got a seat, so congrats! For other folks reading who haven't yet bought one, go try a ton of seats-- go to every store you can find, go to every track day you can find and just sit in seats. Everyone at the track has gone through this process so they are almost always happy to let people try. You'll know when you find the right one for your shape.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

^I agree with trying out as many options as you can in person
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
              :shock:

Comment

That was also my biggest thing was to try the seat in person before I bought it. I almost bought a Corbeau FX1 but not being able to try was a big factor in going another way. The Cobra Monaco is a great starter seat and eventually will become the pass side seat when I have the rest of the stuff worked out and can spend a little more on the new driverside seat. I really liked the higher end Cobra options, the Suzuka was a nice one
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Just buy Recaro Pole Positions and be done with it. Perfect combination of comfort and support. Love them.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                  2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Working...
                  X