Unique Headlight Decision!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique Headlight Decision!

Hello r3v, I'm new here and bought my black 318is two months ago.

I really enjoy working on it and this site has been great in helping me appreciate these cars and my beginning to understand them. I've gotten the engine where I want it mechanically, so I'm moving on to less important aesthetic tasks. As I'm sure you know, the stock US headlights are very dim and I was looking at upgrading to some solenoids. The previous owner had a pair of large hella headlights however, and I don't feel like buying an entire new set, so I'm going to be trying something a bit more unique; The idea is to use these larger headlights by widening plastic grills! Anyways, the only question I have been struggling over is whether to enlarge the high beams of the low beams.

What do you think I should do?

Below are photos of the setups I'm debating and some other cars with similar headlight arrangements.

My car:

Original Bulb on the right, Hella on the left. Size difference is more apparent in person I think...

Similar:

In general I'm going for the most aggressive look possible while still maintaining the traditional essence of the car... If that makes any sense...

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and advice, Zephyr
    Original Unmolested Equal Size Bulbs
    50.00%
    Larger Inside Bulbs
    12.50%
    Larger Outside Bulbs
    37.50%
    Last edited by Metallated; 01-02-2017, 03:00 AM.

I suppose I'd vote you enlarge the outer/low beams aesthetically speaking, although I prefer the equal size lights on this car. The E28 pulls off smaller low beams well, but you're going larger instead. You also have to consider the beam pattern/adjustment of those lights being used as low beams. Are they fog lights or driving lights?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

As he says, the E28 euro nose had bigger outer (low beams), which looks cool. The Lancia look is a little too funky I think.

The E28 was 7" diameter outers and 5 3/4" inner (highs). It would take some real surgery, and epoxy doesn't do well on most plastics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxxxxx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	7189697

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys! I started out really like #3 but the more I look at it the more #2 grows on me.

Elva, good point about the beam type, I've contacted hella but they have yet to get back to me, their product numbers aren't very revealing and seem kind of random. Here's a photo of the beam:

Also, here's a photo of the car from a few days ago after I added a 240 lip and took off the hella lights:

LateFan, Don't worry, I will take the time and do the transformation correctly, it will be going from a 5.6" to a 6.3" diameter light, and from mocking it up I should just need to cut the back, hidden side of the frame...

Comment

that doesn't look like a low beam pattern. i would assume any hella light with a clear lens is going to be a "high beam" driving light.

you will be left with no low beams if you swap the outers.

Comment

Interesting project idea, but I'd just like to say that those clear lenses aren't going to make for a good low beam. The point of all the lines on the sealed beams (or Hella or Cibi H4 conversions, or what have you) is for directional light output. If you run those, not only will you have lots of wasted light downroad, you'll fiercely blind oncoming traffic.

I know this is kinda a form-over-function kind of thing, but I don't think it's worth your time. And if you're driving at night, I'd assume you'd get pulled over constantly for endangering others... Even though you don't mean to.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
              Interesting project idea, but I'd just like to say that those clear lenses aren't going to make for a good low beam. The point of all the lines on the sealed beams (or Hella or Cibi H4 conversions, or what have you) is for directional light output. If you run those, not only will you have lots of wasted light downroad, you'll fiercely blind oncoming traffic.

I know this is kinda a form-over-function kind of thing, but I don't think it's worth your time. And if you're driving at night, I'd assume you'd get pulled over constantly for endangering others... Even though you don't mean to.
              Good thinking, that is a very serious consideration, and you're probably right, both about it being dangerous and not worth my time.

But that being said, I'd like to think it all the way through even if in the end I don't decide to pursue the project. Assuming they are high beams and not meant for low beams, is the only difference the lenses or is the bulb different as well? Basically what I'm asking is would it be safe to simply find some replacement lenses from driving lights?

I know it's not a big difference, but my time is cheap I have all the parts, so I hope it will be a fun and worthwhile project.

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                Good thinking, that is a very serious consideration, and you're probably right, both about it being dangerous and not worth my time.

But that being said, I'd like to think it all the way through even if in the end I don't decide to pursue the project. Assuming they are high beams and not meant for low beams, is the only difference the lenses or is the bulb different as well? Basically what I'm asking is would it be safe to simply find some replacement lenses from driving lights?

I know it's not a big difference, but my time is cheap I have all the parts, so I hope it will be a fun and worthwhile project.
                While high beams DO typically have higher wattage bulbs than low-beams, it's the lens that makes all the difference in where the light (even if it's low beam light) goes. Think using a low beam bulb as "Blinding oncoming traffic", V. a high beam bulb "burning the retinas of any poor soul in front of your car".

If you've ever been blinded by someone with poorly aimed lows, you know what I mean.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get new lenses for your lights, but if you're serious about this project, you want to find something thats designed to work as a low beam. Say, the oversized low beam off of an e28.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I have always wondered how larger low beams would look, similar to euro e28s. In for results.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                    My guess is that's an auxiliary driving light meant for a bumper mount. If it's 6.3", that doesn't jive with a standard headlamp holder or backing frame.

There's no fluting in the glass to aim the light as these guys have said - it's just the reflector shooting it out there. The light pattern looks like a blast of light - there's no real shape, there's no cut off.

Comment

Those hellas are flood lights which aren't right for low beams at all. They can be used as high beams. Take a trip over to the danielsternlighting website and read up on different kinds of automotive lights

You can get bulbs called "hella H4 conversion e-code" which are 100x better than sealed beams and plug right in

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                      X