Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aero effects of an evo style spoiler on a vert

Hey r3v,

QQ anybody have experience with a evo style spoiler on a vert? Just bought one and I'm wondering if I'll see any benefits besides looking like a bad ass.

I'm guessing not but wanted to pose the question to a more informed group.

I know I know, verts shouldn't be track cars. Tell that to my 225/50 ADVAN's :mrgreen:

Pics of said spoiler? I'm imagining it looking similar to an m3/zender spoiler IIRC

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Just some eBay stuff wasn't too pricey and with some sanding and paint I figured I could make it work. It has an adjustable gunnery flap.

Comment

...probably about the same effect as putting pig ears on a brick, at least until
        you get going about a hunnert.

Gurney flap, after Dan Gurney, who discovered a small lip at the upper trailing edge of
        an otherwise ideal wing added significant downforce with almost no added drag.
        Said the (sadly departed) Carroll Smith

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

benefits with the top down: jack shit, though you probably knew that already

benefits with the top up: probably a moderate decrease in performance when compared to a coupe/sedan, due to the soft tops' comparatively rough surface causing some fucked up air flow

and just to shut down the "ooh but the dimples on golf balls make them more aerodynamic" people, i'm not talking about the texture of the top, i'm talking about that lip at the edge where the top and the windshield meet

Comment

I wouldn't think so. these cars don't make enough power for a wing that subtle to make a noticeable difference.

I still say do it though, would look sick imo.

and I feel your pain on the "verts shouldn't be on a track" harassment lol
            sigpic
            @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
            Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Yeah, but this is one of the (few) sections where Form (should) follow Function..
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Thanks for keeping it real r3v.

I'll do a build thread soon, I picked up an alpine vert about 4 months ago and have done a few fun things too it.

Comment

hi
                  welcome to this site
                  ------------
                  Animation

Comment

double check the width

M3 is different than regular e30
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

The ad says not m3 style. So just like the zender wing of this style this rep is more narrow in width in order to correctly fit the normal e30 trunk.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
                        I wouldn't think so. these cars don't make enough power for a wing that subtle to make a noticeable difference.
                        OK chief, that's why 125whp Miata's pick up track time with a wing. If you have no track experience, don't post in the track section.

OP, on a 'vert it's not going to get enough clean air to do anything. That's why you see most Miata guys running hardtops because they pick up top speed and acceleration because it cleans up the air and lowers drag.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

That wing is ROUGH and will need a ton of work at that price. Know what is involved before you start drilling holes for that thing.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

125whp Miata's
                            ...have a pretty awful aero butt...

jus' sayin'...

t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

OP doesn't know who Dan Gurney is.

OP isn't American.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                              X