No announcement yet.

aero effects of an evo style spoiler on a vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurney was one of only a few US racers that stand a chance of name recognition offshore.

Just a chance, mind you.

I think his butt is probably more aero than a 1st or 2nd gen Miata, too...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Interested to see the quality of the spoiler when you get it, throw some pictures up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
        Interested to see the quality of the spoiler when you get it, throw some pictures up.
        +1 I've been trying to find a genuine zender wing for ages with no luck. If this works out decently I'll probably pick one up too
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

I should get it today or tmw I'll be sure to include show some more detailed pics and a brief assessment.

I'm assuming its gunna need quite a bit of sanding and finishing. I will note that the ebay seller is quite responsive and let me know there are m6 screw holes tapped into the spoiler for mounting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
            I should get it today or tmw I'll be sure to include show some more detailed pics and a brief assessment.

I'm assuming its gunna need quite a bit of sanding and finishing. I will note that the ebay seller is quite responsive and let me know there are m6 screw holes tapped into the spoiler for mounting.
            Great, thanks! Subbed for updates
            Shadetree30

Comment

Interested to see how it turns out. I've got a Zender with Gurney flap and an undrilled trunk that I've been putting off getting painted because the quotes have been super high.
              sigpic
              1991 318is S52
              1987 325i Vert
              1991 325i
              2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Updates op?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                  Updates op?
                  Hey guys sorry for the delay. Final findings:

Meh, the material itself is much more ridged than what I was expecting so good news there. The finish isn't horrible but will need to be sanded to look its best for sure. There is a little hole in the corner of the spoiler and I'll just fill that with some light bondo before sanding. It was packaged very well (bubble wrap, etc) so I know the hole wasn't from shipping.

I need to tap some mounting holes and they only dirlled the hole for the lowest gurney flap setting. There are indents for the second setting so its not a big job of lining it up but still kinda annoying.

Overall very happy with it for the price, cant wait to find some time to get it mounted!

Pics:

Crack-

Comment

I have a feeling the only time a spoiler of any sort will be of any real use on a Vert is with the top on it. No top gives you all sorts of turbulence across the back of the car. That is one of the reasons why the M3 is the way it is.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                      I have a feeling the only time a spoiler of any sort will be of any real use on a Vert is with the top on it. No top gives you all sorts of turbulence across the back of the car. That is one of the reasons why the M3 is the way it is.

Will
                      totally agree this will be more of an aesthetic mod than anything else, and its only 6lbs so its not that weighty. I will look for a hard top in the near future.

Comment

That's great! Now I'm very interested :D

How is the finish on the gurney flap? Is it good enough to leave it raw? Or does it definitely need to be prepped and painted too?
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                          That's great! Now I'm very interested :D

How is the finish on the gurney flap? Is it good enough to leave it raw? Or does it definitely need to be prepped and painted too?
                          You could totally leave it raw, I was probably gunna paint it but could see it being left raw.

Comment

You could totally leave it raw, I was probably gunna paint it but could see it being left raw.
                            Great. Yea, I like the look of the contrast black flap and colored wing like you see on a lot of the m3 evos
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              Great. Yea, I like the look of the contrast black flap and colored wing like you see on a lot of the m3 evos
                              Yeah I was gunna paint it flat black or wrap it in carbon, most likely paint it. then maybe do an accent line with gold or something.

Comment

Yeah I was gunna paint it flat black or wrap it in carbon, most likely paint it. then maybe do an accent line with gold or something.
                                post up pictures when you finish it!
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X