E30 vs 2002 for long-term ownership & driving experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    That is clean! I would have no problem driving one of those over an e30 coupe

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Yes - the euro e21s are great. They are a bit more tail happy than the e30 though, so they need to be treated with a bit of respect in the wet until you are used to them.

It's unfortunate that the US didn't get the M20 powered versions - my old 323i weighed under 1100kg, with 150hp - it was a hoot to drive.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I encountered this thread as I was searching for advice on the e28 vs e34. I believe that all the arguments here apply - just substitute 2002 with e28 and e30 with e34. Painful but I think accurate.
        Originally posted by nervousmini
        Break My Wallet
        Bring My Wallet
        Bring Money With

and the M cars are a multiplier

regular repair Money * 3 = M3
        regular repair Money * 5 = M5
        regular repair Money * 6 = M6

Comment

I have both, a 91 E30 318i M42 DD and a 74 2002tii. I've had the 318i for 12 years and owned a 2002/2002tii consecutively for 37 years. I love the M42 motor, to enjoy a M42 is to drive it like you stole it since the M42 comes alive after 3500 RPM. The 318i is basically stock, minor mods, i.e. M-tech 1 steering wheel, LSD, Hella H1/H4 lights, Euro grilles, Bilstein HD's 15" Borbet wheels. My tii has been significantly modified. Diving board to Euro bumper conversion, side marker light delete. Repainted in original color (Sahara). M10 motor rebuilt to Euro tii specs (9.5:1 comp ratio), 5-speed, LSD, E21 Recaro seats, Nardi steering wheel, Cibie H4 lights, Bilstein sports, Eibach springs, ST swaybars, polyurethane bushings, 15X7 ET 25 Centra type 11 wheels with Yoko S-drive tires. The tii is not a DD but a fun weekend car. No AC so its not driven much in hot weather. It's more of a spring/fall car but when snow falls, it's parked for the winter. Both cars put a smile on my face every time I drive them.

G-Man
          Attached Files
          74 2002tii (many mods)
          86 325 (sold)
          88 325is (sold)
          89 325i (totaled)
          91 318is (parted out)
          91 318i
          98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Comment

Here's my 91 E30 318i

G-Man
            Attached Files
            74 2002tii (many mods)
            86 325 (sold)
            88 325is (sold)
            89 325i (totaled)
            91 318is (parted out)
            91 318i

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
              Here's my 91 E30 318i

G-Man
              There are BMWs everywhere in that picture.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                There are BMWs everywhere in that picture.
                I believe that was taken at The Vintage.
                IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
                  I believe that was taken at The Vintage.
                  This pic, you dunce
                  Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                  Q
                  :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

This pic, you dunce
                    bwahaha!

I spot 1 non-BMW, and it's not impossible that THAT's someone's BMW truck conv3rsion...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      I have both, a 91 E30 318i M42 DD and a 74 2002tii. I've had the 318i for 12 years and owned a 2002/2002tii consecutively for 37 years. I love the M42 motor, to enjoy a M42 is to drive it like you stole it since the M42 comes alive after 3500 RPM. The 318i is basically stock, minor mods, i.e. M-tech 1 steering wheel, LSD, Hella H1/H4 lights, Euro grilles, Bilstein HD's 15" Borbet wheels. My tii has been significantly modified. Diving board to Euro bumper conversion, side marker light delete. Repainted in original color (Sahara). M10 motor rebuilt to Euro tii specs (9.5:1 comp ratio), 5-speed, LSD, E21 Recaro seats, Nardi steering wheel, Cibie H4 lights, Bilstein sports, Eibach springs, ST swaybars, polyurethane bushings, 15X7 ET 25 Centra type 11 wheels with Yoko S-drive tires. The tii is not a DD but a fun weekend car. No AC so its not driven much in hot weather. It's more of a spring/fall car but when snow falls, it's parked for the winter. Both cars put a smile on my face every time I drive them.

DUDE !!! That is my o2 to th left of your tii. Was that at the Vintage 2 years ago? I had the power windows in my car . Holy Snap!!!!
                      o2 vs e30. I will say the e30 is more fun to drive. It's an easier car to drive also. I have a 318is M42 with the motor having slight mods and a full top adjustable coilover from Ground Control. Both car have been on the track. The e30 obviously has a better handling package. The o2 has billys and H&R springs so it handle ok but I'm not a big fan of that set up. The o2 is very true in it's handling though and I think with a different suspension ( like a Koni coiler) it would handle almost as good as the e30. I prefer driving the e30 but the o2 get peoples attention due to the historic factor. 2 Good choices for ownership though.

dlm ny country
                      G-Man

Comment

DLM, that was from the Vintage two years ago. Agree with your comments but my E30 sedan suspension is stock except for Billy HDs. Planned E30 suspension upgrades included sport springs and bigger swaybars. The tii handles better for now but I'll reserve judgement on the E30 until after suspension upgrades are done. Both are fun cars to drive.

G-Man
                        74 2002tii (many mods)
                        86 325 (sold)
                        88 325is (sold)
                        89 325i (totaled)
                        91 318is (parted out)
                        91 318i

Comment

Working...
                        X