No announcement yet.

Joe's new daily, what should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 1993 Suzuki samurai with a 1.9TDI from a VW boosted to stupid levels.

Its a good idea, trust me.

not really tho i need help
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      As for the 540i, the engine is an M62 (could be a TU) depending on the build date. At 130k I would check if the guides have been done. If not I would do them if you buy it, They are a ticking time bomb, its not if they will go its when. Some have made it to 200k some have gone at 90k, they are plastic and if they brake the chain slips and you basically made your engine a paperweight.
      Lol, at 130k he has tens of thousands of miles before he needs to worry about it. If it's a non vanos motor, I would replace them around 225k miles, if it's a vanos motor I would replace them at 175k miles.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Lol, at 130k he has tens of thousands of miles before he needs to worry about it. If it's a non vanos motor, I would replace them around 225k miles, if it's a vanos motor I would replace them at 175k miles.
        Really? Are you on the e38 boards much, the average of the guides going is 120-130k. No way 225
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Guide wear depends on more factors than just mileage.
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            Guide wear depends on more factors than just mileage.
            Very true, but as old as these cars are, most are not on first owners anymore and for the guides to go longer they need to be really well maintained. I took mine out at 120k, they were not broken yet but definitely brittle and chipping, they would not have made it another 100k.
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

If I bought an M62(tu), over 100k, with no record of timing chain maintenance, I would just do the guilds as preventative maintenance.
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

E39 540i6 was what came to mind for me as well. I bought an '01 with broken guides for $2100, fixed them and did the cooling system at the same time, then drove without issue for 20k+ miles before selling it to a friend who has driven it for about 15k miles, also without issues. It would do 29mpg at 80mph on the highway, had great AC, did fine in snow. All around one of the best cars around if you're willing to give it some love.
                '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

When I brought my new to me S52 swapped 318ti to the BMW meet on Friday we all agreed that in the sub-5k bracket one should buy a nice E39 540i even though the 332ti was a very good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                    A 1993 Suzuki samurai with a 1.9TDI from a VW boosted to stupid levels.

Its a good idea, trust me.

not really tho i need help
                    I knew someone who did this but he went a little further by swapping in Toyota axles, a MB diesel 5-cylinder (then slapped a turbo on it), and cut the back out and made a small bed on the back of it.
                    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
                      The E39 540i 6sp would be a good choice, but timing chain issues are expensive and tedious to replace. My first thought would be a nice E46 330i, and you can find ZHP'S in the upper end of your budget.

I'm on my third E46 ZHP, and I absolutely love them. Very comfortable, very fun to drive, and they meet your performance and reliability requirements.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                      Yeah, I second what Eric Giles says. Keep the E46 330i in mind, as it really is an awesome car! You definitely won't go wrong.
                      Originally posted by tak7 View Post
                      I recently bought an '97 540i/6 and must say for me it's a great daily (if gas mileage isn't a priority). It's very poised at speed and angry when you want it to be.

I also agree with the ZHP,
                      GL
                      Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                      I had a Mystic Blue 330i ZHP, 6-speed with an alcantara interior. I've never regretted selling a car more.

If I can find one, I will buy it.

With that said, I am tempted by a V-8 strictly based on exhaust noises (commute is <5 miles).

These two cars are the best options for that price. Two downsides to each though.

The e39 540i is gonna have chain guide issues at some point is a given and its gonna suck gas.

The e46 zhp (I currently own one) top three cars I've ever had(540i being one also) in soooo many ways, the handling is perfect and the steering rack is gold. On the other hand it could use a little more power and on manual cars the subframe tearing out of the mounts is toooo common. style 135s though

All this being said id have to go with the ZHP for longevity, simplicity and reliability. Unless an 03 MSport 540i comes around, m5 diff + m parallels = immediate purchase ;D
                      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        If I bought an M62(tu), over 100k, with no record of timing chain maintenance, I would just do the guilds as preventative maintenance.
                        This 100%
                        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Its kind of an odd ball, but I'd suggest a Z3. I'm bias but its a great car and in my opinion one of the better kept secrets out there.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            Really? Are you on the e38 boards much, the average of the guides going is 120-130k. No way 225
                            Thats what I saw on the e39 BF.c board. I've known quite a few 540is (non-vanos) do their timing chains around 200k. Worrying about it at 130k seems excessive to me. But maybe something about e38 drivers?
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              Thats what I saw on the e39 BF.c board. I've known quite a few 540is (non-vanos) do their timing chains around 200k. Worrying about it at 130k seems excessive to me. But maybe something about e38 drivers?

From what I know it's most common in e39s with 6mt due to the harsher jerkier accelerations and auto cars it's less common. That being said I think the issue like most is due to poor Oil maintenance like leaving leaks and driving with lower oil levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              i love bmws

Comment

Working...
                              X