E34 535i auto or e36 auto for daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 535i auto or e36 auto for daily?

There's a 535i automatic that I want to look at for daily driving duties. Looks really clean with low miles for a fair price but I'm worried that the old 90's automatic trans is going to feel clunky or need a major service. There's an equally as nice e36 328i automatic for the same price that I'm also interested in. Which would you go for?

So far I love the m52 in my current e36, powerful but very good on gas. I think m30s are pretty rad though, also. I'm just over having a manual trans for a daily, it's been over a decade of it and I want a break. Maybe i'd eventually get bored with it and manual swap, maybe not.
    My Feedback

Are those your only two choices? If it were strictly daily I would be looking towards the E46 330i. I tried to daily an E34 and it made my brain ache. It leaked any/every kind of fluid, and when I repaired a leak, a new one would surface itself. It did that until I sold the car.

I love me an E36 with an M52, but I'm not sure if an auto would kill a 328 or not.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

i have an e36 328i auto for sale here in houston. its super clean and rust free with great interior and 1.5 year old paint. silver/black clean title in my name. about 115,000 miles on the clock.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by flyboyx; 07-21-2017, 01:52 AM.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

My vote is e34. I just think they look more "mature" even when lightly modified. Maybe I'm getting old and migrated to an e32 myself... :)

Comment

Old farts ITT :p
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            Sup
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Are those your only two choices? If it were strictly daily I would be looking towards the E46 330i. I tried to daily an E34 and it made my brain ache. It leaked any/every kind of fluid, and when I repaired a leak, a new one would surface itself. It did that until I sold the car.

I love me an E36 with an M52, but I'm not sure if an auto would kill a 328 or not.
              Not my only two choices, but a clean, mechanically sound e46 is usually a bit out of my price range, same for e39s sadly. I'm frustrated that I missed out on a super clean 323is e36 for only $2500. A touring model would is what I really need but they're always more expensive. I search just about every day for a variety of vehicles but people still seem to want too much money for 200k+ mile hondas, subies, and Jeeps with mechanical or cosmetic issues, so I end up gravitating back to a well-maintained BMW that's actually cool and fun to drive.

My mom had an auto 328is and it was a good car and plenty fast. I'm tending toward the e36 just for the better handling and the engine but the color combo is meh. On the other hand the color combo on the e34 is way better and it's got the classic look. It's hard to decide.
              My Feedback

Comment

E36s blow.

/thread.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Sagging headliner would make me find anything else.
                  Last edited by djjerme; 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM.
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I daily a 90 535i, but it's a 5 speed. I enjoy it. Enough comfort features for me to daily but not a bunch of things to fail.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are E34s a lot nicer than E28s?
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

depends on what you value
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The e34 basically combines what was good about the old BMWs with what is good about the newer ones... As a daily they'd be fine (been eyeing off an e34 touring down here as they look like a bigger e30 touring, but without the over inflated price tag).
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

out of those two i would take the e34. If i had to daily and auto i think it would have to be something like a e32 or e38
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                            :shock:

Comment

+1 e34

If you're not sold on either of those, I think e39s are awesome DDs
                              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                              X