E34 535i auto or e36 auto for daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 or E38.

I miss my E38. A super refined vehicle, great power delivery, smooth ride, massive trunk.. all of the quirks are known and not too difficult to resolve.

* gone searching CL for one.....
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

E34 had rust, undecided about getting another e36. An e38 740i is high on the 'want' list but just not economical right now. Might just live with what i have finally invest in my e30 project instead of letting it sit another year...
      My Feedback

Comment

Good call.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
          E34 had rust, undecided about getting another e36. An e38 740i is high on the 'want' list but just not economical right now. Might just live with what i have finally invest in my e30 project instead of letting it sit another year...
          I have an E38 740i sport, I LOVE THIS CAR....but, I would not buy it on a tight budget. So far I have been lucky, but I also spend a lot on preventative to get my guides done, which was a few thousand. An older E38 with an M60 isnt as bad but still everything on that car costs money, but when they are in top shape as mine is, its just an amazing car to drive, comfortable fast cruiser, and in sport form like mine quite competent handler for its size.

That being said I would go E34 before E36, but really if you could put out a little more the E46 330 is the best daily out of all of them.

Last edited by Staszek; 07-26-2017, 06:51 PM.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            but still everything on that car costs money
            let's be honest. It's not the best financial decision to choose an old BMW as a daily driver. All of these cars people are suggesting will cost money. Having kept a spreadsheet on my e46 (my DD) for the past 7 years, shit aint cheap by any means.

Get an actually reliable car instead.

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
              let's be honest. It's not the best financial decision to choose an old BMW as a daily driver. All of these cars people are suggesting will cost money. Having kept a spreadsheet on my e46 (my DD) for the past 7 years, shit aint cheap by any means.

Since OP narrowed his choices down to these two, you would have to assume that he does not want a non-BMW as DD.

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post

True, but to be honest buying anything on any BMW board is not smart financially lol. And the E46 DD will still be cheaper by a long shot over and E38. I had 201k on my E46 when I sold it and it has cost me no where near what the E38 does.

That being said he wants a BMW, so I am trying to give the best option for that, or the answer would always be Toyota Corolla lol.

Comment

Well, the car I really want, an e46 touring, which would be extremely useful for hauling things, has popped up for sale and surprisingly it's actually within my budget. Only issue is it's a high mileage (over 200k) Illinois/Michigan car, and of course it's a two hour drive just to go look at it.
                  My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                    Well, the car I really want, an e46 touring, which would be extremely useful for hauling things, has popped up for sale and surprisingly it's actually within my budget. Only issue is it's a high mileage (over 200k) Illinois/Michigan car, and of course it's a two hour drive just to go look at it.
                    Those engines are pretty good, mine had 201k and had no issues, didnt leak a drop of oil and ran smooth. I redid the vanos seals.

Something to check on the E46 was the rear subframe tear, although I dont know if the Tourings had the same issues. I really like the E46 touring especially when they have the aero kit.

I would be more worried about rust, those cars really were not known for rust issues, but that car where it is with that mileage I would check.

Comment

for a cheap daily you really dont want a bmw but if you had to pick between e36 and e34 i would say the e36 will be cheaper to buy and maintain. although e46s are just as cheap anymore so its your pick, they all cost money to maintain.
                      Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                      Bimmerbuddies LLC
                      717-388-1256
                      2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                      bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X