E30 vs 2002 for long-term ownership & driving experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 vs 2002 for long-term ownership & driving experience

I'm curious - of you guys who have driven or owned both, if you had the choice of an E30 set up the way you wanted it, or a nice 2002 roundie the way you wanted it (with M20?), which would you rather daily and keep long term?

Looks / feel / driving position / handling / power / reliability / parts availability / etc / etc

E39
    AWD > RWD

Comment

looks: 2002
      feel: e30
      driving position: e30
      handling: e30
      power: e30
      reliability: e30
      parts availability: e30
      etc: e30
      e30: e30
      cars beep boop

Comment

haha! Good answer to wrong question!

Never was in love with the E39 shape, but that's just me. But way better than the E34. And too big. I'd rather go E12 or E28...or Bavaria!

Back to the question!....

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          etc: e30
          e30: e30
          You make a strong argument.

Comment

For a daily driver the E30 has more room, it's quieter, it will take a hit from a suburban better, parts are easier to find, they have A/C that actually works AND the rest of the Heater/Ventilation system is at least 5X better than a 2002. You can run a ton more tire without having to flair the fenders, they have ABS (for us old farts they even have Power Steering)

I daily drove a 2002 for about 15 years and I loved it, but the world has moved on and a really good 40 year old car is still a 40 year old car. I love driving my 2002's just for fun but when I'm headed out for a night in the big city or to get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic I don't take the '02. I have an e30 Vert and during the summer it is one of my go to cars just because it's fun and totally reliable. But if I had to pick just one of my BMW's to keep as a daily driver it would be the E28 M5!

Comment

I'll second what these guys are saying. I think the 2002 was more fun to drive and was more...engaging, I guess? but the E30 is just a better car to use on a regular basis for all the reasons already mentioned. The 2002 will get a lot more attention and I think it makes better sounds.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

The E30, no question. Even if it were M54 swapped E30 vs S14 swapped 2002.

But the real answer to this question is E36/5, with an S54.

Comment

All very interesting to hear. I always assumed I'd climb the ladder backwards and eventually get a 2002 fake tii or small 6 swap. I almost bought a sweet 2800 sedan (Bavaria), but I don't need a sedan, I have a Volvo wagon!

I'd like to drive my Alfa every day when I get it put back together, at least until the snow, but when I did that before it was 20 to 35 years old, now it's 50. Of course, I live in a small place now, I don't go far, no bumper-to-bumper. But I'd like to get it totally reliable for 2-lane road trips over the mountains.

Comment

There is a tour in British Columbia coming up and I seriously thought about going on it, I would love to take the turbo but I can only put up with the seats for about an hour at a time before I have to get out and get some feeling back in my legs. The other '02 needs 108 octane race fuel so it's out. The M5 could sure use a road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      You make a strong argument.

Best I've heard yet

Originally posted by Preyupy View Post
                      There is a tour in British Columbia coming up and I seriously thought about going on it, I would love to take the turbo but I can only put up with the seats for about an hour at a time before I have to get out and get some feeling back in my legs. The other '02 needs 108 octane race fuel so it's out. The M5 could sure use a road trip.
                      what is this tour you speak of?
                      Any links?
                      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

almost most fun: 02
                        most fun: e30
                        faster: e36
                        fastest: e46

anything after '06 = junk

EDIT: Exception = 1m :)
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

This is r3v. Go ask on a non-biased forum.
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                            Best I've heard yet

what is this tour you speak of?
                            Any links?

The Vancouver BC BMW club has invited the Puget Sound Region Club to join in on a 3 day tour in Eastern BC the weekend of Aug 25-27. There were a limited number of places and last time I saw anything about it I believe there was 1 place still open.

Comment

Oo, I could get there from here, that would be fun.

I saw this as well..

A long one..

< EDIT > That second one looks like old people in huge American cars pulling trailers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
                              Last edited by LateFan; 08-03-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X