e30 touring in california

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 touring in california

hey everyone. just trying to find out if anyone from experience knows if its easier to register a E30 touring in california if it's purchased in the usa already registered in a different state then trying to register it from canada or europe? don't want to have to pay $7000 for lab. any info would be helpful. thanks!

Im pretty sure your best bet is to use a registered importer and buy it directly from overseas. Registering one thats already IN the US will be impossible. Good luck
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Why would it be impossible to register one already in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by 661mpow32 View Post
        hey everyone. just trying to find out if anyone from experience knows if its easier to register a E30 touring in california if it's purchased in the usa already registered in a different state then trying to register it from canada or europe? don't want to have to pay $7000 for lab. any info would be helpful. thanks!
        It doesn't make much of a difference if it is outside the country or registered in another state. At least if it is in another state, you don't have to deal with the actual importation and duty fees.

There is no way to avoid laboratory testing, unless it's already a California registered car.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Im pretty sure your best bet is to use a registered importer and buy it directly from overseas. Registering one thats already IN the US will be impossible. Good luck
        You can register an out of state grey market car, it has to be laboratory tested, which is also what a direct import vehicle would have to go through.

Comment

Also once it's registered in CA it will have to pass emissions. Lots of european cars didn't come with US-spec emission equipment. It will be much easier to register it at a friend's house in a state that has a 25 year emission exempt rule and just renew your reg online every year.

As long as your car is in good shape and you're running a front plate and don't have a super loud exhaust and no ratty looking shit, no cop will think twice about your out-of-state plate.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I'd be interested to know how the emissions testing between states compares.

I passed a sniffer here in TN with my m40 pretty easily.
            '89 318i Touring
            '90 Miata

Comment

Google CA smog vs 49 state emission. There are different catalytic converters, full exhaust systems, even entire cars made for the 49 state market vs the CA market because of the difference in emission requirement.

Some early euro bmws didn't have lambda sensors unless the market required it. Ergo wouldn't pass CA smog.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

No matter what, you will get the Lab test before you can get it register and driving in CA for long term use.
                I got mine from FL with FL title already DMV is cool with it and DMV asked me to go CHP have them put in the 7 Vin number in their system before they can finalize the registration process, however CHP won't do it before i did the lab test and get the bar sticker.

Now, I paid $6500.00 and waiting the stupid test done. I just dropped off my Touring last month and the guy told me it takes 6-8 weeks

Hope this help!!

Comment

Originally posted by af dynamic View Post
                  No matter what, you will get the Lab test before you can get it register and driving in CA for long term use.
                  I got mine from FL with FL title already DMV is cool with it and DMV asked me to go CHP have them put in the 7 Vin number in their system before they can finalize the registration process, however CHP won't do it before i did the lab test and get the bar sticker.

Now, I paid $6500.00 and waiting the stupid test done. I just dropped off my Touring last month and the guy told me it takes 6-8 weeks

Hope this help!!
                  I think I saw your car at the lab. Is it the red touring with style 5's and recaros?

Comment

yes!

Comment

$6500.0 is outrageous........
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Working...
                      X