Parking Brake Cable Removal from Trailing Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Brake Cable Removal from Trailing Arm

Ahhh...the JOYS of a sub-frame re-hab! OK...so I've read all of the threads on parking brake cable removal. I destroyed the cables when removing from the upper tubes, but using PB and torch, was able to get them out without resorting to drilling or otherwise f'ing up the tubes. I'm still having problems removing the cables from the trailing arm. I removed the parking brake shoes, the bracket, pin, and actuator arm. But I still can't pull the cable through the trailing arm. I took some photos. Is the round "collar" on the inside of the trailing arm part of the old cable or does this part stay attached to the trailing arm? I looked at the new cable and it has a plastic end to it. If it's part of the old cable, I'll just heat it up and twist it out with a pair of needle nose. I don't know what I hate more...removing the parking brake cables or flaring brake lines! Swen.
    Attached Files

OK...so I was able to finally pull the ferrule end of the cables from the trailing arms! Lots of PB and torch. Then I used a drift and punched it through from the outside by going through one of the wheel mounting holes in the hub- see pictures. Removing these cables was BY FAR the BIGGEST BITCH of a job that I have done to date on my E30. My advice to anyone doing it- echoed by others is to use liberal amounts of PB Blaster and judicious use of heat- DON'T burn the garage down! HAVE patience....and when you're about to say FUQ IT...walk away...grab a brew...and come back at it later!
    Attached Files

Comment

Errrmmmm.......

Comment

Yes it sucks.... not many thinks on the E30 are frustrating but this is one.

Comment

Working...
        X