Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this from, why is this happening, need help! Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this from, why is this happening, need help! Thanks!

Bought this car awhile ago, was cleaning today and felt a wet spot I lefties up the carpets to find this in 3 places.. what do I need to do and what is it from.. thanks!
    Attached Files

I have more pictures that picture is located in between the read and passenger front seat, there is a spot in front of the drivers seat, and another behind the drivers seat.. will upload other photos when it allows me too

Comment

Obviously, lots of options, but one that plagued me for a while was the sunroof tubes that drain toward the front of the car. They drain into the well behind the speakers in the kick panel. There is a very small hole to the outside through which it is supposed to drain out. That hole can get plugged and when you park nose down on a hill, anything trapped in there can get out... I know that is super specific, but it took me forever to isolate. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dubdub View Post
        Obviously, lots of options, but one that plagued me for a while was the sunroof tubes that drain toward the front of the car. They drain into the well behind the speakers in the kick panel. There is a very small hole to the outside through which it is supposed to drain out. That hole can get plugged and when you park nose down on a hill, anything trapped in there can get out... I know that is super specific, but it took me forever to isolate. Good luck.
        How do I go about solving and fixing this problem, because there Is a spot of water in the trunk which I believe is from the drain tubes

Comment

Water entry typically comes from a few places. And where you see it seldom is where it started.

Three drain tubes from the HVAC box. Make sure they are not cracked and connected properly. Additionally, in the same general area, where the AC hoses enter the HVAC box, that seal can leak.

Next the drain tube for the cowl. Also know as the elephant trunk. Make sure that entire area is clean and the tube is clear. Also, on both sides of the inner cowl, by the fenders, make sure those drains are clear.

Clean the door sill / fender slots where all these drains exit.

Next, the sun roof drains. One in each corner. The front are easiest to see. Make sure the entrances to the holes are clean. I used string trimmer line to chase those tubes all they way to the area in the fender where the water will exit. Make sure they're clear.

The rear sunroof drains are a headache to check. I blew air in from the exit area in the rear fenders to make sure they're clear. Also, make sure the tubes are attached to the fender drains properly.

Then in the trunk, I had a hole in under the rubber seal that was leaking into the trunk.

I think that about covers it.
          2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Sorry. I should have been more clear. Make sure they don't clog first off. Dirt and leaves can build up. And since I parked on a hill a lot at that time, I drilled small holes in the opposite side of that kick panel area, so either way the car was facing, there was a hole at low point. Obviously I rust proofed well.

Comment

Working...
            X