Back on track: E30 8",10" and 12" Subwoofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rook12V View Post
    Yes it does, but I'm aware I'll have to remove it to get the sub box in. Thats fine with me. I can buy a heatgun and go to town :)
    You will go absolutely batshit crazy using a heatgun, don't even bother trying.

I highly recommend 2 or 3 el-cheap-o "500 watt" halogen work lamps face down. Let them (use 2) sit on their face-cages for 20 minutes in a closed trunk. Use the claw side of a hammer and pull towards you. Scrape all you can and put the lights back on when it gets too hard to continue, let it sit 10 minutes or so, repeat.

Try not to scrape paint, of course, and WD40 does a great job cleaning up the residue.

Just so ya know, I have weighed 2 different trunk tars, both were within ounces of 57lbs. The stereo won't be but a couple pounds more than that, so a 24V E30 with one of our stereos has a correct weight distribution, or pretty close to it. Kinda cool, huh?

Luke

I need to write a truly comprehensive article with all the stuff we now know about installing audio in E30s. One of these days in my "spare" time!

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I bought 2 pounds of dry ice. Spread it all over the trunk tar covered it with a towel and it all just popped off.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
      I'm cooler in person.

Comment

Originally posted by ajackz View Post
        I bought 2 pounds of dry ice. Spread it all over the trunk tar covered it with a towel and it all just popped off.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
        Agreed!

I too have had great success with the dry ice method, works great. I shattered it into small chunks, spread it everywhere and covered it with a towel, and let freeze for half an hour. Popped off in 9 million shards clean and easy.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

My buddy a former installer came over on sunday afternoon and we installed the 10" lukebox with a kenwood deck,infinity kappas front and rear,infinity reference sub and amp on sunday.
          He made a comment about the box firing the wrong way when he saw it but was impressed with just how damn tight that sucker fit.Once wired up and and tuned a little I cranked it up and his eyes got real big-it sounds amazing and thumps hard.

A very huge thanks to Luke for putting in the effort,I love it!.:)

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post
            My buddy a former installer came over on sunday afternoon and we installed the 10" lukebox with a kenwood deck,infinity kappas front and rear,infinity reference sub and amp on sunday.
            He made a comment about the box firing the wrong way when he saw it but was impressed with just how damn tight that sucker fit.Once wired up and and tuned a little I cranked it up and his eyes got real big-it sounds amazing and thumps hard.

A very huge thanks to Luke for putting in the effort,I love it!.:)
            Love it, thanks! Explain to him my concept is based on solid physics, that the cancellation he expected is solved by the woofer being forced to put 100% of the bass energy into the cabin...that is why it works so well.

I just did the same thing to a 2011 mazda 3. It was 100X more difficult to do than in a BMW. Building that wall into a Mazda was NOT fun, let me tell you!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

luke anything regarding that e34 setupon bf.c for the e30?
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                luke anything regarding that e34 setupon bf.c for the e30?
                Like the 10 channel passive crossover? It really isn't needed for E30s, and we already have like 18 different products for the E30...but we are gonna do a "Premium Upgrade" kit with tweeters and crossovers, sooner or later.

BTW, we did yet another run of E3010s, so we are back to having all of our solid-roof E30 products in stock.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Nice work, Hope to get my hands on a Luke Box sooooooon
                  [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

Originally posted by TURBOX View Post
                    Nice work, Hope to get my hands on a Luke Box sooooooon
                    Yessir, there's still 4 more days to order, and if coming up with the money right now is the issue, I can set you up with half down and the other half in 2 weeks, if that helps.

LF

Closing SOON!

Comment

A big question for Luke...I am a Baby Boomer in my 60s, and my idea of a great auto stereo is one that offers volume with CLARITY, not artificially emhanced thumping bass that my twentysomething niece seems to like. My music tastes run towards vintage rock, folk, 80s New Wave, straight up, fusion, and smooth jazz, and some classical. Which camp do ypur Lukebox systems fall into, and do you offer options that cater to my age group? I have a 92 e30 vert, so that may pose additional challenges.
                      Cheers,
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
                        A big question for Luke...I am a Baby Boomer in my 60s, and my idea of a great auto stereo is one that offers volume with CLARITY, not artificially emhanced thumping bass that my twentysomething niece seems to like. My music tastes run towards vintage rock, folk, 80s New Wave, straight up, fusion, and smooth jazz, and some classical. Which camp do ypur Lukebox systems fall into, and do you offer options that cater to my age group? I have a 92 e30 vert, so that may pose additional challenges.
                        Cheers,
                        Paul
                        Paul, have you read the install guide for the GAS "Vert Box" system?

What we do is kind of bizarre, we use the chamber between th back seat and the trunk as part of a "bandpass" enclosure, thus the ability to force all of the bass into the cabin.

As far as linearity, detail, clarity and overall sound quality, buy a car with a roof, please. Then we can talk a whole 'nother level of sound quality...but being you have a 'vert, and a power top vert at that, I will say this: the system we build is the best bass I have ever personally heard in any topless car that looked anywhere near stock, by a mile.

If I were you, Id use a pair of Infinity 860Ws and roughly 500 watts RMS, you will have clean, clear bass on the freeway with the top down, at 70MPH.

Take a read, your install is a major league pain in the butt:

If someone out there has found a better way to get bass in a vert, Id sure like to know, these cars drive me nuts. Ive done hundreds of these cars since they first came out, this is by far the best thing I've come up with.

Thanks!

(and seriously, please buy a car with a roof)

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Cheers,
                          Paul
                          Paul, I'm 46 and my taste runs similar to yours. We have three e30's, including my wife's vert that has a GAS system. By far my wife loves Elton John rocking down the freeway in her vert. We did the vert box plus local pcn's, infinity sub, 5 channel amp, and a kenwood deck. She loves it. I would highly recommend.
                          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Gerta...you mention the GAS vert box...is that the same extensive ported bandpass system that Luke described a couple of posts back, or something simpler? Of course this info might all be moot if Luke is truly closing his business in a couple of days...

Comment

Gerta...you mention the GAS vert box...is that the same extensive ported bandpass system that Luke described a couple of posts back, or something simpler? Of course this info might all be moot if Luke is truly closing his business in a couple of days...
                              There is only one GAS 'Vert sub, his vert is one of our very first production systems...trust me, if I knew of an easier way to get bass in a vert, I'd do it

Closing SOON!

Comment

I am searching for a sub for my 92 e30, price preferably less than $250. Which one is better?
                                Detailed Car Subwoofers reviews, along with specs, comparisons and guides to help you make the right choice.

I am not an expert, this is my first experience
                                All help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X