Solid mounts a bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid mounts a bad idea?

Just got my bonus and looking to order all the parts needed to at least get the motor in my car. I am trying to decide on motor mounts at the moment. I know I am not ordering revshift.

I have so far seen the AKG solid aluminum mounts, and the Condor Speed Shop delrin and solid mounts.

Any feedback on these or a suggestion on another route? I have searched and didn't come up with anything useful.

I have the Condor Speed Shop mounts. No complaints about them. I don't really care too much about the vibration as the car was built to be tracked. I also have solid mounts throughout the driveline. Solid mounts are also a good insurance against the motor lurching into the radiator (although it shouldn't happen with the e28 mounts either).
    1989 325i S50 swapped
    2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
      I have the Condor Speed Shop mounts. No complaints about them. I don't really care too much about the vibration as the car was built to be tracked. I also have solid mounts throughout the driveline. Solid mounts are also a good insurance against the motor lurching into the radiator (although it shouldn't happen with the e28 mounts either).
      awesome, thanks for the input!

Comment

If you're going to drive the car on the street, solid mounts are a bad idea if you care at all about NVH.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I have poly motor mounts and regular oem trans mounts.

The only vibration I notice/feel is when I tip-in throttle to get the car moving, and it's really minor. I don't feel any vibes anywhere else in the spectrum of driving.

No exp. with solid, though.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I ordered the condor speed shop delrin motor and trans mount with their transmission brace. They had a package with it all together. I guess ill see how it goes. This will not be a daily kind of car anyways, so I don't think any additional NVH will be a big deal for me.

Comment

I installed the condor motor mounts on my car, both the engine and trans mounts. Didn't like all the vibration through the trans mounts so I went back to OEM. Much happier with the solid engine mounts and OEM trans mounts. I'd suggest installing both since you bought the package and seeing if you like it, then swap out the trans mounts for less vibration if desired.
              M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
              Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
              M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
                I installed the condor motor mounts on my car, both the engine and trans mounts. Didn't like all the vibration through the trans mounts so I went back to OEM. Much happier with the solid engine mounts and OEM trans mounts. I'd suggest installing both since you bought the package and seeing if you like it, then swap out the trans mounts for less vibration if desired.
                This. I did the same exact thing....those solid tranny mounts drove me up the wall.
                555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                '95 BMW e34 525i
                '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                '92 Range Rover Classic
                '90 Range Rover Classic
                '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                '67 Pontiac LeMans
                '24 Model T Depot Hack
                ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I'm running OEM rubber on the entire drive line. (E28 engine mounts). No vibrations, no shakes, doesn't flex when I get on it and is nice and comfortable. My car is purely for the street so take that into consideration. If I was tracking it I would have gone poly.

Comment

I was lucky enough to experience condor engine/trans swap mounts and Condor Engine+OE trans mounts on a car before I swapped mine.

The Condor engine mounts add very little NVH over poly mounts, but for trans mounts I'd go with either OEM e30, or e21 if you want a little bit of an upgrade.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      I was lucky enough to experience condor engine/trans swap mounts and Condor Engine+OE trans mounts on a car before I swapped mine.

The Condor engine mounts add very little NVH over poly mounts, but for trans mounts I'd go with either OEM e30, or e21 if you want a little bit of an upgrade.
                      Seconded
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

What performance benefit are solid motor mounts supposed to provide?

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
                          What performance benefit are solid motor mounts supposed to provide?
                          aside from keeping the motor where you want it in tight clearance situations the reduced flex results in less power lost rotating the engine on the rubber mounts. that being said, I am personally not a fan of them on the street as NVH is a concern and i have seen them cause trans mounting ears break off, on street cars that is.
                          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                          Bimmerbuddies LLC
                          717-388-1256
                          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Racers usually use solid mounts to prevent mis-shifting due to the engine/transmission moving around under heavy load. On a street car, there is no advantage and will only add NVH.

Harder than stock mounts need to be checked often as they are more susceptible to damage or causing damage because energy is not absorbed but transferred by them.

Comment

Working...
                            X