Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HCIT here, although most of my customers are out of the PNW

Comment

Takes a lot of grit to get started and on your feet in one of the cities here, for the aforementioned reasons.

There is also no end in sight. If you cannot afford to purchase in a metro area, then you will waste far more than the approved 30% on housing.

I would love to live in the more rural parts of Oregon or even the coast, but alas, my wife works in downtown so we are stuck in town for the time being.

As I type this, I am sitting on my couch nursing a killer headache caused by the traffic on my way home. I just decided it wasn't worth it to be out anymore today and headed home. No sense in sitting in 2 hours of needless Californian transplant traffic.

Oh, it's raining.
      Derek-

Comment

Apparently the OP got his answer..

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
          Takes a lot of grit to get started and on your feet in one of the cities here, for the aforementioned reasons.

There is also no end in sight. If you cannot afford to purchase in a metro area, then you will waste far more than the approved 30% on housing.

I would love to live in the more rural parts of Oregon or even the coast, but alas, my wife works in downtown so we are stuck in town for the time being.

As I type this, I am sitting on my couch nursing a killer headache caused by the traffic on my way home. I just decided it wasn't worth it to be out anymore today and headed home. No sense in sitting in 2 hours of needless Californian transplant traffic.

Oh, it's raining.
          No kidding. Today was just full of stupid. So many newbie rain drivers being unpredictable at best..

Luckily, there's been a rash of car break-in's that seem to be targeting out of state plates. Maybe they'll get the hint they are not wanted and go back to where ever they came from.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Yeah so reading this thread I had to jump in.

Recently moved to Reno NV for my kid to go to school here and see all of the issues you guys are talking about in the Portland and Seattle areas.

Traffic and drivers are just stupid. Haven't had problems with break ins but the homeless situation here is bad, and its cold outside. There but for the grace of god...

It really makes me wonder about the state of the country. I don't disagree with you guys that PNW is full and I get where your coming from but something just rubs the wrong way with all of that.

What can you do? What do you do if you are trying to get started in a new place that is overcrowded and you are not really wanted there?

I grew up in southern cali and moved out 15 years ago, there is a whole other world out there, people are different in the Midwest.

I had relatives in Reno growing up and spent some time in summer in Reno area, it seems to have changed a lot. Still lots of ppl coming from cali to get away from mess, I guess you see the same in PNW.

When I was a kid I lived north of Ventura, in Santa Barbara county. They would hang signs on Hwy 101 that read "LA GO HOME". I knew when I was still very young that I would never be able to afford to live in the neighborhood I grew up in. I guess a lot of why Trump got elected was the feeling we have of its getting worse not better.

I would like to hear how it turns out for OP.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              No kidding. Today was just full of stupid. So many newbie rain drivers being unpredictable at best..

Luckily, there's been a rash of car break-in's that seem to be targeting out of state plates. Maybe they'll get the hint they are not wanted and go back to where ever they came from.
              That kinda tactic was tired in MT, the CA,WA,OR,TX plates keep migrating in droves dont get your hopes up
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                PNW is full.

Comment

Seattle is kind of going the way of SF CA. Over crowded, bad traffic, lots of homeless, and home prices are just shooting up FAST!
                  I moved up here about a year ago, I don't regret it at all, but its also not what I had been hoping for in terms of affordability.
                  I rent the bottom half of a house in Edmonds (40 mins N of Seattle) and commute to Seattle for work every day. It is basically impossible to find an affordable rental with a garage or affordable home to buy near Seattle unless you make .com money.
                  If you are going into the medical field maybe you could find a nice coastal retirement town with elderly people that need lots of healthcare?
                  My brother and mom Live out in Sequim. Down side is its remote, and does not have much going for it yet. Basic small town with a Home Depot, Walmart, Costco, Safe Way, QFC and so on. But homes are affordable, and it is beautiful. Lots of snow capt mountains and trees and lots of incredible places to drive to and hike at. Very close to the Ocean and you can take a ferry to Canada from the next town over (Port Angeles).
                  I think Sequim is going to grow a lot within the next few years. On first looks its seams like a quite conservative town with retirees and rednecks, but there is a quiet underflow of young people moving there from CA and other states buying up farm land and doing real cool stuff. Lots of wealthy people are buying vacation homes there. I see it getting bigger, but not in a bad way.
                  Its worth checking out. If I wasn't tied into a good job where I am now, Id head out there.
                  Funny enough my little brother is going to college for physical therapy and sports medicine.
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                  X