Help with 87 front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 87 front bumper

Hey guys, I picked up a 1987 325 and was looking to swap the front bumper out. The information is not very clear and iffy between what people are telling you to do. This is what the front end looks like now (ps: don't have pics of my exact car, too dark to take pics) :

And I'm looking to get something like this on it:

any information or guide would be appreciated! From what I've read its either some fab work once you get everything off, or you just need to get your hands on a set of valance brackets, which I can't seem to find!

For those wondering this is the bumper/valance combo I've been looking at
    Great fit on any bmw e30 year and model Coupe, Sedan, Cabrio, Touring. It has no fitting kit but its quite easy to install. You just take off everything from your front and put this one on.
    Last edited by rhemann; 02-19-2017, 08:57 PM.

Drill and compress...

Just remove the front bumper and the bumper shocks, put the shocks in a vise and drill them (make sure to wear eye protection when the oil squirts out) then compress the bumper shocks to where you want them. This is best done when you remount the bumper. As for the airdam, I drilled holes through the top and through the metal reinforcement bar that is part of the airdam mounting brackets. Then matching holes in the bottom of the bumper, and bolted the two together so there woudn't be any sag, especially if the airdam dragged on the ground. Hope that helps.

Comment

Yup. Tuck bumper shocks. Paint metal to look like plastic bumper trim.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

That red car looks really weird with only two headlights, tucked bumper aside.

For reference, here's my car with that valance and untucked, actually functional bumpers:

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

You can get airdam brackets on eBay, someone is making them, if you don't want to drill your bumper. Or you can just bend an aluminum bar to shape. But it helps to have the long steel mounting bar; if you can't find or Fab that you're probably drilling the aluminum bumper.

The bumper/valence combo at the very end of your post is different than the pic you posted, which is just an IS airdam and painted/tucked bumper. Not sure how that would mount to an early, looks like it's for post facelift cars.

Oh and the fogs on your DB won't fit the IS airdam, so keep an eye out for those too.
          '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
          '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
          '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Working...
          X