Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for input: Most comfortable period seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for input: Most comfortable period seat?

Hi everyone,

My driver's comfort seat is starting to show its age so I'll have to do something about it at some point. The seats are all like plywood and pretty uncomfortable, something I dislike about both them and the sport seats.

If I need to do something with my driver seat anyway, I'd love it if I could find something more comfortable for daily driving but still looks correct in the car. What seats have you guys used that are softer and more comfortable than the two original options?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Do you have an early model comfort? Because the late model comfort seats are pretty comfy, totally different interior design.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      Do you have an early model comfort? Because the late model comfort seats are pretty comfy, totally different interior design.
      Late model comfort, it's horrible. Super stiff, no side support of course, and there's a weird bump in the seat back which hits my shoulder blades and makes me hunch.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

You must have bad seats cause mine are comfy
        But I think sport seats are more comfortable
        There's sticky posts at the top of this page about seats
        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
          You must have bad seats cause mine are comfy
          But I think sport seats are more comfortable
          There's sticky posts at the top of this page about seats
          The construction of the seats just doesn't fit me. They seem to be made for someone generally shorter than I am, but especially for someone with a shorter torso. Maybe I'm just not built right, haha. I've used the OEM sport seats in two different cars and they also felt pretty stiff, especially during longer drives. It's worth pointing out that I'm pretty bony, so softness counts more for me than most people.

I looked at both those threads, but they didn't clarify much. I'd like a seat that:
          A) Looks period-correct and
          B) Tilts and adjusts.

It looks like the Recaro LS series fits both criteria, but the differences between models is a bit confusing so far...

Other than that--unless I missed it--I really didn't see much unfortunately.

Comment

I hear tampons are more comfortable for sitting on your period if you can handle having an object inside of you. Maxi pads feel like diapers.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
              I hear tampons are more comfortable for sitting on your period if you can handle having an object inside of you. Maxi pads feel like diapers.
              I've heard the same thing. Does Recaro make either? I'd like to stay away from knockoffs.

Comment

So I found this extremely helpful page describing all the different types of Recaro seats:

**This is a write-up I found in another forum. The OP is "Ron@JJCustomInterior " I think he did a great job, and rather than just posting a link to the page, I'm copying it over here for our quick reference and use on this forum. Here is the link to the original: http://www.pro-touring.com/thread...

It cleared up a lot of confusion I had about the different options, and it sounds like an LS-B or LS-C would be the ticket for me!

Comment

I love my cloth LS-B seats sourced from a mk 2 Jetta. The LS-C would be even cooler but potentially a bit pricier.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                    I love my cloth LS-B seats sourced from a mk 2 Jetta. The LS-C would be even cooler but potentially a bit pricier.
                    Thanks, it's always good to hear feedback!

Comment

Ive had an SR2 and SR3 recaro, which i think are fairly simliar to the recaro "speed" .

The SR3 came from a honda DC2 integra, they come in ugly red or black swede with red stiching (i had the black). that SR3 was the most comfortably seat ive sat in, and easy enough to get in and out of for daily use.

I think the SR3 would suit an e30, pretty much looks like an e30 m3 recaro.

Comment

Okay OP, I'll let you in on a little gold mine that I recently found as I was asking the same question a few months ago.

It seems you're already familiar with the awesomeness that is vintage Recaros - perhaps you have also found that they seem difficult to come by in good condition.

Maybe you'd even like a set like this:

Enter my new friend from Thailand, ebay seller MCK Recaro. He's got all manner of Recaro seats, LSs, LXs, SRDs - many in very good condition, and for very reasonable prices even after shipping. I paid a reasonable amount for some nice LXs, albeit with a bit of bolster wear. Best way to contact him is on Facebook. If you message him on there you will get a decent deal. Full disclosure, I've not received the seats yet (shipping takes 2.5 months on average), but he seemed very upfront and I'd be surprised if I have to file a Paypal dispute. Another caveat - a lot of his seats are from cars that had them as factory options in the Japanese market, which to my understanding can trend smaller than Euro/American counterparts, so make sure you are getting a seat that will be big enough for you.

Personally, I think a nice pair of old Recaros look very clean in an E30. I'm also partial to the net headrests. My ideal set would be LS-Cs for the aggressive bolstering, but I'll be happy with my LXs.

The pictured set is mine. Can't wait til they arrive!
                        Last edited by c0rbin9; 02-24-2017, 09:27 PM.
                        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Thank you very much for the contact, Corbin!

I think I've found a full LS-C matched interior in two-tone cloth (same scheme as those you posted), with power adjust front seats. The interior came out of a VW, and they're fitting the rear foam and cover to an E30 frame for easy installation. It also comes with E30 sliders for the front seats!

Hopefully your post can help someone in the future though!

Comment

No problem. Do you mind posting more info about the LS-Cs or pics? I'm interested in seeing some as I thought the black/striped gray was LX only.
                            1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Here's a link to pictures from the FS ad, I don't want to save/hyperlink since they aren't my photos:

Comment

Working...
                              X