M50 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 Rebuild

So I'm rebuilding/refreshing a M50 before I swap it into my E30. I have a list of parts and services that I think are necessary for the rebuild, but I was wondering if anyone has anything to add. Here's the list so far:

Bottom End:
    Fel-Pro Lower Gasket Set
    Timing Cover Gasket Set
    Oil Pump Nut
    Main Bolts
    Main Bearings
    Rod Bolts
    Rod Bearings
    Piston Rings
    Wrist Pin Clips
    Chains(Both Timing Chains and Oil Pump Chain)
    Chain rail/guides
    Chain Tensioners
    Thermostat
    Thermostat Housing
    Water Pump
    Brush(Dingle Ball) Hone Cylinder Walls (Assuming Little to No Ring Ridge)
    Have Block Resurfaced, Magnafluxed, and Cleaned

Top End:
    Fel-Pro Upper Gasket Set
    Oil Check Valve
    Vanos Rebuild Kit/Have Vanos Rebuilt
    Head Bolts/Studs
    Have Head Resurfaced, Magnafluxed, and Cleaned

The pistons, rods, valves, and springs have all been cleaned and are awaiting re-assembly. Is it worth having the crank polished or balanced? The journals look spotless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by Melon
    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

I'm about in the same boat as you. Its all dissassembled now to get parts. I'm doing some reading about Victor Reinz head gaskets being questionable. Something else I've run across is to make sure you get the right main bearings for the motor (1 vs 2 tang on the block side bearing).

Comment

Originally posted by philakamrbean View Post
      I'm about in the same boat as you. Its all dissassembled now to get parts. I'm doing some reading about Victor Reinz head gaskets being questionable. Something else I've run across is to make sure you get the right main bearings for the motor (1 vs 2 tang on the block side bearing).
      Yeah I've heard to stay as far away from Victor Reinz head gaskets as possible. I'm just ordering Fel-Pro gasket sets top and bottom. No one seems to have any complaints about that brand. Good point! I wouldn't have known. I have 2 tangs but I never knew there was a difference. Rod bolts have two versions as well.

I feel like I'm missing things, like having the crank looked at or testing to see if the lifter buckets are still good.

Comment

I personally have never had broblems with victor reinz gaskets. I have also installed several victor reinz headgaskets without broblems. One did hold 0,7 bar of boost with stock headbolts just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
          I personally have never had broblems with victor reinz gaskets. I have also installed several victor reinz headgaskets without broblems. One did hold 0,7 bar of boost with stock headbolts just fine.
          Damn. That's just what I've been told. Maybe I was specifically for M20s? Either way I'm getting mine with the whole set because it's easier

Comment

Never had an issue with victor reinz either. Used it on my e36 m3 rebuild. But if boost it. I recommend running the cut ring head gasket. Running it on my e30 m50 turbo setup.

Comment

Originally posted by xoneslosentrax View Post
              Never had an issue with victor reinz either. Used it on my e36 m3 rebuild. But if boost it. I recommend running the cut ring head gasket. Running it on my e30 m50 turbo setup.
              Cool! Would a cut ring head gasket be useful on a NA build?

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
                Cool! Would a cut ring head gasket be useful on a NA build?
                No. Just waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                X