Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post

I forgot to PM you back, but brother decided to keep them

No worries dude, I figured as much lol. I've been buying a house, so car parts have fallen somewhat lower on my list at the moment.
    Derek-

Comment

Ok - so I was just ranting earlier about how I spent several hours disconnecting everything on Fuse 23's circuit and testing/blowing a bunch of fuses.

Tonight, was demonstrating the fuse-popping issue to my dad and it was holding! The fuse wasn't blowing...UNTIL I closed the trunk lid with the license plate lights dangling in the (not screwed down to the rear panel).

First off, I'm happy to know that I don't have any melted wires or else obviously the Fuse wouldn't have held up for 30 mins before I shut the trunk lid.

I'm now thinking that by this logic, my issue is going to be a wire that's been damaged, and is grounding out on the rear panel. Does this seem logical?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
        I'm now thinking that by this logic, my issue is going to be a wire that's been damaged, and is grounding out on the rear panel. Does this seem logical?
        This does make sense. In the late 90s I had an old Audi that had a similar problem. The wiring loom near the trunk hinge would fatigue over time. Lots of years of opening/closing the trunk and eventually the wires would break or the sheathing would break. Wires would touch or ground out. A fuse would blow similar to what you have described. I can't picture the trunk wiring for the e30 at the moment, but you may need to get in there and start pulling apart the wiring loom to see what's up.

Comment

Coming back on to the forum for the first time in a few months and I see this thread. WOW man, it did hold up well on impact. I always really liked that car.

Happy to see that you are in another 30 so quickly.

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

really glad you're okay dude!
            My feedback:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
            @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
              really glad you're okay dude!
              Thanks man!

Originally posted by SSE30 View Post
              Coming back on to the forum for the first time in a few months and I see this thread. WOW man, it did hold up well on impact. I always really liked that car.

Happy to see that you are in another 30 so quickly.
              Yeah, it was pretty crazy observing it all, and realizing what happened.

Very blessed to have the family and friends that I do.

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              This does make sense. In the late 90s I had an old Audi that had a similar problem. The wiring loom near the trunk hinge would fatigue over time. Lots of years of opening/closing the trunk and eventually the wires would break or the sheathing would break. Wires would touch or ground out. A fuse would blow similar to what you have described. I can't picture the trunk wiring for the e30 at the moment, but you may need to get in there and start pulling apart the wiring loom to see what's up.
              I've started unraveling it all, near the door lock mechanism. Upon this, I've noticed that a TON of wires back there have were fiddled with by the P.O. and have been patched using wire connectors. i.e. leading to taillights, etc..

I have a feeling this is going to be a royal P.I.T.A.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Original shell above. New Shell below, paying homage. See if you can spot the differences & similarities.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Good President's weekend so far!

Yesterday, drove out to Newport Beach and picked up my brand new OEM front windshield and rear windshield, and had them installed right there on the spot.

It was a drizzling a little bit when we started, but then the sun (kinda) came out.

Front Installed

My rear defroster was busted so I opted to have the whole glass pulled out.

And rear glass installed.

Spent the rest of the afternoon finding/getting a gift and card for some girl then going to her birthday party in Laguna Beach. Party was meh, but the drive there and back was a amazing. Lots of empty and twisty back roads to carve.

Then this morning, called up my good friend Ab (ak-) and we decided to hit up Angel's Crest Highway. It was my first time, and it was awesome. Also, my first time ever seeing snow in Southern California.

Then we hit a brief roadblock. But Mr. Plow was this super chill brotha from South Central. We chopped it up, and he even took this photo of our cars (I think he misunderstood my request to take a photo of us with the car - but still sick).

Car performed pretty well on the twisties and I was happy with it. But think that a thicker pair of sways bars, end links, control arms, E46 steering rack, new tie rods would be super duper.

Then we hit a final road block with road closed due to recent heavy snowfall. Definitely need to come back now with some skis.

After *lots* of low visibility in dense fog, the fog lifted for blue skies.

Car's muddy AF now and needs a deep cleanse. I also am doing my anti-rain dance so I can take my spare carpet (from the old shell) for a steam clean, so I can swap it in weekend after next.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Wrapped up the final day of this awesome 3-day weekend with a little interior TLC.

The E-brake Console (coin tray) that came with this new shell/car was trashed, and had the cut-out for the Accessory tape cassette journal. It was missing that though, and gross, so I threw it out last weekend. Luckily, I had kept my old shell's clean coin tray, but it was a little dirty. So I cleaned it up with some of LA's awesome cleaner stuff and installed the nifty M-tech cloth E-brake boot I had gotten from Matt-B a few months ago.

Then I scrubbed the hell out of the Center Console (that connects to dash). Also, the dumb-ass P.O. had installed the circuit breaker & window switches incorrectly so I fixed that. Was bugging fam.

I had installed the Matt-B M-tech cloth Gear Shift boot back in 2012, about time I completed the set.

Everything will come off again in a few weeks when I swap on my old shell's cleaner carpet.

SP

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Just read through this whole thing. Nice work! And glad you came out alright from being rear-ended at 70! It tough seeing it happen, but makes me love e30's more knowing how safe they are.

Also, where did you order your rear axles from that gave a lifetime warranty?
                      sigpic
                      Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                      88 Alpine 325i
                      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
                        Just read through this whole thing. Nice work! And glad you came out alright from being rear-ended at 70! It tough seeing it happen, but makes me love e30's more knowing how safe they are.

Also, where did you order your rear axles from that gave a lifetime warranty?
                        Thanks, although I think I may have hit my noggin a little hard to the point that I made this thread and am doing everything you see :D

I bought them from O'Reily's Auto Parts, based on recommendation.

I had my initial hesitations about buying them there, but phreshkid convinced me.

In other news ... found the cause of the electrical short in Fuse 23.

After tearing apart everything on the circuit...turned out to be an uncapped wire behind my aftermarket headunit

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Ay that's still way better than melted shit.
                          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Indeed. I feel sort of dumb for chasing this around the car and taking so many things apart and getting all worked, while overlooking something a simple and stupid as that.

But oh well! And for the lolz, discovered that my P.O. was some what of a klutz.

Broken instrument cluster tabs, crimped & connected wires in the trunk lighting harness, yadda yadda yadda.
                            Happy to say I have 3 spare European clusters and 1 awaiting full refurbishment; a crack-free dash; a clean non-cancerous carpet from my old shell; and much more.

Nick - I'll be back up in the Murda this upcoming month, so some wrenching seshes should be in order :D

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

First off, got a proper pair of brand new (manufactured) CV axles. Recommended by Ryan (phreshkid), these were like ~$120 after core refund, OEM fitment, and lifetime warranty.

Yo where'd you get these?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

^
                                Thanks, although I think I may have hit my noggin a little hard to the point that I made this thread and am doing everything you see :D

I bought them from O'Reily's Auto Parts, based on recommendation.

I had my initial hesitations about buying them there, but phreshkid convinced me.

In other news ... found the cause of the electrical short in Fuse 23.

After tearing apart everything on the circuit...turned out to be an uncapped wire behind my aftermarket headunit

1990 325i
                                2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X