Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tint : anyone have the front windshield tinted ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its actually pretty dark, it looks subtle due to its a vert and its a pretty well lit day, though its not the darkest ive seen, it looks lighter in the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
      That's subtle. Most cars if not all I see are far darker
      Keep in mind his top is down, my guess is this is 20%. Which is way way way to dark for me. If he were to have the top up, you'd prob have a hard time seeing in. All the light is coming through the back of the shot.

I never got messed with for having tint on my whindshild. First of all, how can they tell? Also how would they meAsure it? The readers need to go on both sides of the glass which wouldn't work for the front. Also, if they were to reach in with their tint card, would need a warrant or reasonable probable cause. That would only come up if you rear ended someone... Which in that case, tint would be the least of your problems.
      F80 M3 Alpine
      E10 Fjord Blue 2002
      E28 Blackish 535i
      E21 Silver 320i
      Disco1 98 4.6
      ~~~~~~
      E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
      E30 325i SOLD
      E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
      E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
      sigpic

Comment

This trend of visually exaggerated mods of questionable function annoys me.
        Maybe I'm just getting old, but the trend seems to be making changes to a car the make it LESS safe and functional in exchange for more visually striking pictures to share on instagram. Slammed beyond reasonable, stretched, crappy fitting wide body kits, etc.

It seems like using your car to get attention is taking priority to actually USING your car.

Idk. Get off my lawn, kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
          This trend of visually exaggerated mods of questionable function annoys me.
          Maybe I'm just getting old, but the trend seems to be making changes to a car the make it LESS safe and functional in exchange for more visually striking pictures to share on instagram. Slammed beyond reasonable, stretched, crappy fitting wide body kits, etc.

It seems like using your car to get attention is taking priority to actually USING your car.

Idk. Get off my lawn, kids.
          Lol ya, I get it... But with my case it was nice to have the 35% across the windshield because I no longer had to use my polorized sunglasses( which I always forgot in another car) but you're right, at night it made it less safe for sure. Not terrible because the new head lights are sooooo bright but less safe then stock.
          F80 M3 Alpine
          E10 Fjord Blue 2002
          E28 Blackish 535i
          E21 Silver 320i
          Disco1 98 4.6
          ~~~~~~
          E30 325i SOLD
          sigpic

Comment

First off - as I understand it, tint is actually measured by how much light it lets through.

I have a factory non-AC car (Canadian) with a pristine dashboard, so I looked into this. The clearest options you have are 3M Crystalline 70 or 90% or Llumar Air 80. 3M Cr90 is almost completely clear, but it blocks less heat. Cr70 is still quite clear but blocks the most heat of any tint. Air 80 almost blocks as much heat, is obviously between the two in clarity, but has a distinctly blue tint to it.
            E30s came from the factory with very clear glass - I would wager that an e30 with Cr70 on the windshield would be nearly indistinguishable in color from a 2017 model's factory windshield.
            diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

[QUOTE=word is bond;4662672]First off - as I understand it, tint is actually measured by how much light it lets through.

Correct, for example 35% tint would mean only 35% of light passes through. Most new SUV's use somewhere around 20% in the rear passenger area.

Things to consider are curves of the windshield. This causes distortion to the film and makes it harder to see through. You also need a great Tint installer who has experience with curved glass or even at a uv protection film you'd likely get distortion. With new cars the uv protection is formed into the glass to less distortion is likely. (Disclaimer, not an expert, just had a lot of cars tinited)
              F80 M3 Alpine
              E10 Fjord Blue 2002
              E28 Blackish 535i
              E21 Silver 320i
              Disco1 98 4.6
              ~~~~~~
              E30 325i SOLD
              sigpic

Comment

Tint : anyone have the front windshield tinted ?

I have my windshield tinted. 70% tint. There is no difference in visibility, only one person who's ever been in my car has been able to tell, and not because of a difference in visibility. They spotted the rainbow effect the tint creates when light reflects.

I tinted the glass because it prevents your dash from getting fucked up and keeps the temps down inside the car. Form follows function.

Highly recommend the 70% tint, fuck the rules. The laws are outdated, almost every new car comes with factory tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

figured I would post a picture of mine b/c the PO installed a strip on the front windshield. I don't mind it, but he did have a note from the dermatologist to make it legit...

Comment

I also have a 6" tint strip on my car and like it it. I'm not sure if its legal here but compared to all the cars with dark tints on their side and rear windows I don't think mine screams ticket me to the local cops. On the other hand if they see how I drive....
                    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

its the most annoying thing, at night and if it rains, cant see anything

Comment

Working...
                      X