S54 to E30 wiring information thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 to E30 wiring information thread

Contact me via private message if you need your MSS54 or MSS54HP programmed for a swap into any other chassis.
    Wiring the E46 S54 2004 MSS54HP harness to the E30 late model chassis is not that hard.
    I will post the wiring information here because I feel like community needs to know and to get some sense of wiring configuration for this swap for the first time.
    The MSS54 ECU harness will not be able to be moved to the passenger side in original E30 location, one of the ECU plugs X60003 is too short, it would needed to be removed from the harness that is routed under the intake manifold then some shorter wires would need extention.
    Harness comes with (DME relay) and (Injectors relay) and its own little (fuse box). Power and ground is easy. Red wires are Constant B+, Brown is constant Ground.

The main part of the harness is the connector X60004 it goes to the chassis, and you must get it from the donor car, has to be cut off. It is a black 40 pin connector that is 4th in line on the MSS54 DME. From other connectors only about 3 wires need to be connected.

X60004 connector pin out information with where to wire them on E30, red wires are the ones that need to be wired:

1. Signal, terminal 61, [mss54 dme sends the signal for alternator charging lamp in the cluster, the alternator is controlled by the dme itself and not by a cluster. Wire this to whatever connector, it is for battery charge indicator lamp on your E30 model].
    2. Engine start signal feedback, connector voltage signal, terminal 30h [empty slot in my case, this is on early S54 models, I did not wire this anywhere, but you can add and remove pins to the x60004 connector easily]
    3. SAP relay, [if you want secondary air pump then this wire sends ground signal to the SAP relay, you will need to steal SAP relay wiring from your E36 harness, in my case I wanted this, because I am running catalytic converters,use E36 wiring diagram on how to wire rest of the SAP relay wires.]
    4. Signal to electric fan [fan is controlled by the mss54, must use gpeterson control board if you want to use AC]
    5. Ground [empty slot on my x60004, if you got the wire there, then ground it]
    6. Starting signal [ wire this to same signal wire that goes to trigger the starter, it signals dme that engine is cranking]
    7. Ground for electronic pedal [ to pin 1 of pedal connector]
    8. Electric pedal [to pin 4]
    9. Voltage supply for electric pedal [to pin 5]
    10. Not used on USA models [fuel pump relay on EU models, this is regular relay not EKP,]
    11. Oil pressure signal [to dash oil pressure light bulb, wire to pin that goes to oil pressure light bulb on your E30 cluster]
    12. Ground electronic pedal [pin 2]
    13. Electronic pedal [pin 6]
    14. Electronic pedal [pin 3]
    15. Sport button switch [ this wire receives momentary ground signal to turn on sport mode, I rigged E36 ASC switch for this,]
    16. Sport button switch LED light [ mss54 sends ground signal to the 12v LED to indicate that sport function is turned ON, I rigged the E36 ASC switch bulb to work, all though you can barely see the light, better option would be to install just the LED bulb in the cluster]
    17. RPM signal to the diagnostic connector [use this as a RPM signal to the cluster]
    18. Activation heating fuel tank leak module [not required, must be programmed out of the DME]
    19. Not used
    20. Activation valve for fuel tank leak module [not required, must be programmed out of the DME]
    21. Oil level signal for E46 instrument cluster [ no wiring option]
    22. Vehicle speed [rear right wheel speed signal from ABS, must be programmed out of the DME]
    23. Not used
    24. Brake light switch S_BLS negative [brake switch signal is used for cruise control and safety throttle delete, if you want to do burnouts then it must be deleted out of the DME]
    25. Not used
    26. Terminal 15 fuse F29 [ wire this to switched 12v,]
    27. Data link steering wheel cruise control [no option on E36, must be deleted from the mss54 program]
    28. Not used
    29. A/C compressor relay control, [sends ground to relay, you must use gpeterson control box if you want to use AC, link bellow
    30. Fuel tank leak diagnosis module [not required, must be programmed out]
    31. Not used
    32. TXD diagnostic signal K-bus line [ wire to OBD2 connector pin 7,]
    33. EWS signal [rolling code signal wire from EWS, must be programmed out by me]
    34. Brake light switch BLTS B+ [look at pin 24]
    35. Not used
    36. CAN bus HIGH signal to cluster[no use on E30 cluster]
    37. CAN bus LOW signal to cluster [no use on E30 cluster]
    38. Ground for radiator temperature sensor, located in lower hose [you could wire this and put sensor anywhere, but this is for fan control that you can’t run on E30 anyway so best is to delete this from mss54 programming]
    39. Signal from radiator temp sensor [look at pin 38]
    40. Not used

EKP-modul [regulated fuel pump relay must be used, the E30 relay will not work properly,]
    EKP pin 1 [pulsating signal from mss54 connector X60002 pin 11 then to X6021 pin 1 black/violet (black 4 pin connector), I just wired this directly]
    EKP pin 2 [to fuel pump,to whatever pin is on your E30 for fuel pump]
    EKP pin 6 [battery +12]
    EKP pin 7 [ground]
    EKP pin 8 [switched +12, DME relay X6021 pin 2, white/red wire]

X60002 pin 20 [signal from gear recognition switch, this is for cruise control, you will not be able to wire this to E30, it needs to be deleted from the mss54 program]
    X60002 pin 12 [ecu box cooling fan negative trigger, no use on E30, must be deleted from programm]

Black 8 pin connector:
    Pin 1: starter cranking, fat black wire [connect to starter turn on wire, ignition switch]
    Pin 2: power for oil level sensor [connect to switched 12v,hot in ACC and runing]
    Pin 3, 4 ,5, 6 [are all empty no wires]
    Pin 7: gray wire [clutch switch module on non SMG harness, can’t use it on e30]
    Pin 8: yellow/black wire goes to X60003 pin 19 [to tire pressure module, no use on E30]

Look at the photo bellow. two black 2 prong connectors with red wires go to battery +12v

Link to gpeterson A/C + pusher fan control board http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=362962&page=6
    Last edited by DesertBMW; 04-13-2016, 10:04 PM. Reason: updated for A/C use

My DME has 5 slots and it looks like the the main plug (40 pin) goes into slot 3 not 4 is that right? May ill take you both harness when you do my DME... lol
    Last edited by 89AlpineM3; 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

My harness and DME came from a 2002 model year M3

Comment

Interesting. I really want to do this swap.

Comment

Very good info..hope to do the swap soon!. This will help
          NASA
          BMWCCA member
          PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
          1997 M3 sedan
          2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

As a clarification of sorts...you can use the harness from a MZ3 (coupe or roadster), model year 01-02 (S54) and the harness WILL reach the glove box as that is where the MZ3's ecu is located. The harness is essentially the same as the E46 M3 harness. This is a far better solution than trying to extend the E46 harness.

Comment

E46M and Z3M have harnesses that are pretty different connector wise...

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

They have slight differences, but the critical connectors are the same. I used a Z3M harness.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

As did I. Not a whole lot different. Everything plugs into the engine just the same. The main difference is in the longer wiring to accommodate the ECU in the glove box.

Comment

it's probably worth mentioning there are several differences in X60004 wiring depending on your year, but the DMEs are all the same for the most part.

you *could* use an on/off FP relay with some coding. the euro cars do have a PWM table but it's all set to 100% duty cycle except for idle. it would probably be too loud for a street car but wouldn't hurt anything on a track only car.

also, there's no reason you couldn't use the electric fan control. you'd need the fan control module instead of the two relays, and the coolant outlet sensor (could be reprogrammed to use any sensor, the M3 has a special coolant pipe that won't work on an E30/E36 radiator where it's coolant outlet sensor fits).

Apparently there is a cruise control module that could possibly be used. I have a part # laying around somewhere.

this is a good start but I think the S54 has so many nuances and people are going to be doing things so differently, it would be best to look at the actual wiring diagrams and make sure you've hooked up things the way you want.

you can also buy the X60004 connector plugs from BMW, and the pins you can get from an electronics website. you can get them from BMW too but they cost like 5x as much for the same thing.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Any more details on the cruise control module mentioned above?
                      Vlad: '87 535isMaytag: '87 528e'88 911Project Minerva - S54 E28

Comment

Up there are several points that require "deleted out of the DME". How do you guys solved this?
                        Is there any known software that could allow me to edit MSS54 bin file?

Comment

You can buy from us or others like us and or look on M3forum if you wanna DIY.

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                          Full Product Line Tuning
                          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

yeah, if you're comfortable with hex editing, you can DIY, otherwise there's a number of people who can do it for you. The cost is way down from the old days of "Send it to a secret location in Germany with an suitcase full of unmarked $100 bills".
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                              Contact me via private message if you need your MSS54 or MSS54HP programmed for a swap into any other chassis.
                              Wiring the E46 S54 2004 MSS54HP harness to the E30 late model chassis is not that hard.
                              I will post the wiring information here because I feel like community needs to know and to get some sense of wiring configuration for this swap for the first time.
                              The MSS54 ECU harness will not be able to be moved to the passenger side in original E30 location, one of the ECU plugs X60003 is too short, it would needed to be removed from the harness that is routed under the intake manifold then some shorter wires would need extention.
                              Harness comes with (DME relay) and (Injectors relay) and its own little (fuse box). Power and ground is easy. Red wires are Constant B+, Brown is constant Ground.

The main part of the harness is the connector X60004 it goes to the chassis, and you must get it from the donor car, has to be cut off. It is a black 40 pin connector that is 4th in line on the MSS54 DME. From other connectors only about 3 wires need to be connected.

X60004 connector pin out information with where to wire them on E30, red wires are the ones that need to be wired:

1. Signal, terminal 61, [mss54 dme sends the signal for alternator charging lamp in the cluster, the alternator is controlled by the dme itself and not by a cluster. Wire this to whatever connector, it is for battery charge indicator lamp on your E30 model].
                              2. Engine start signal feedback, connector voltage signal, terminal 30h [empty slot in my case, this is on early S54 models, I did not wire this anywhere, but you can add and remove pins to the x60004 connector easily]
                              3. SAP relay, [if you want secondary air pump then this wire sends ground signal to the SAP relay, you will need to steal SAP relay wiring from your E36 harness, in my case I wanted this, because I am running catalytic converters,use E36 wiring diagram on how to wire rest of the SAP relay wires.]
                              4. Signal to electric fan [fan is controlled by the mss54, must use gpeterson control board if you want to use AC]
                              5. Ground [empty slot on my x60004, if you got the wire there, then ground it]
                              6. Starting signal [ wire this to same signal wire that goes to trigger the starter, it signals dme that engine is cranking]
                              7. Ground for electronic pedal [ to pin 1 of pedal connector]
                              8. Electric pedal [to pin 4]
                              9. Voltage supply for electric pedal [to pin 5]
                              10. Not used on USA models [fuel pump relay on EU models, this is regular relay not EKP,]
                              11. Oil pressure signal [to dash oil pressure light bulb, wire to pin that goes to oil pressure light bulb on your E30 cluster]
                              12. Ground electronic pedal [pin 2]
                              13. Electronic pedal [pin 6]
                              14. Electronic pedal [pin 3]
                              15. Sport button switch [ this wire receives momentary ground signal to turn on sport mode, I rigged E36 ASC switch for this,]
                              16. Sport button switch LED light [ mss54 sends ground signal to the 12v LED to indicate that sport function is turned ON, I rigged the E36 ASC switch bulb to work, all though you can barely see the light, better option would be to install just the LED bulb in the cluster]
                              17. RPM signal to the diagnostic connector [use this as a RPM signal to the cluster]
                              18. Activation heating fuel tank leak module [not required, must be programmed out of the DME]
                              19. Not used
                              20. Activation valve for fuel tank leak module [not required, must be programmed out of the DME]
                              21. Oil level signal for E46 instrument cluster [ no wiring option]
                              22. Vehicle speed [rear right wheel speed signal from ABS, must be programmed out of the DME]
                              23. Not used
                              24. Brake light switch S_BLS negative [brake switch signal is used for cruise control and safety throttle delete, if you want to do burnouts then it must be deleted out of the DME]
                              25. Not used
                              26. Terminal 15 fuse F29 [ wire this to switched 12v,]
                              27. Data link steering wheel cruise control [no option on E36, must be deleted from the mss54 program]
                              28. Not used
                              29. A/C compressor relay control, [sends ground to relay, you must use gpeterson control box if you want to use AC, link bellow
                              30. Fuel tank leak diagnosis module [not required, must be programmed out]
                              31. Not used
                              32. TXD diagnostic signal K-bus line [ wire to OBD2 connector pin 7,]
                              33. EWS signal [rolling code signal wire from EWS, must be programmed out by me]
                              34. Brake light switch BLTS B+ [look at pin 24]
                              35. Not used
                              36. CAN bus HIGH signal to cluster[no use on E30 cluster]
                              37. CAN bus LOW signal to cluster [no use on E30 cluster]
                              38. Ground for radiator temperature sensor, located in lower hose [you could wire this and put sensor anywhere, but this is for fan control that you can’t run on E30 anyway so best is to delete this from mss54 programming]
                              39. Signal from radiator temp sensor [look at pin 38]
                              40. Not used

EKP-modul [regulated fuel pump relay must be used, the E30 relay will not work properly,]
                              EKP pin 1 [pulsating signal from mss54 connector X60002 pin 11 then to X6021 pin 1 black/violet (black 4 pin connector), I just wired this directly]
                              EKP pin 2 [to fuel pump,to whatever pin is on your E30 for fuel pump]
                              EKP pin 6 [battery +12]
                              EKP pin 7 [ground]
                              EKP pin 8 [switched +12, DME relay X6021 pin 2, white/red wire]

X60002 pin 20 [signal from gear recognition switch, this is for cruise control, you will not be able to wire this to E30, it needs to be deleted from the mss54 program]
                              X60002 pin 12 [ecu box cooling fan negative trigger, no use on E30, must be deleted from programm]

Black 8 pin connector:
                              Pin 1: starter cranking, fat black wire [connect to starter turn on wire, ignition switch]
                              Pin 2: power for oil level sensor [connect to switched 12v,hot in ACC and runing]
                              Pin 3, 4 ,5, 6 [are all empty no wires]
                              Pin 7: gray wire [clutch switch module on non SMG harness, can’t use it on e30]
                              Pin 8: yellow/black wire goes to X60003 pin 19 [to tire pressure module, no use on E30]

Just a few questions here....maybe I should make a separate thread?

1) I have no idea what the "field terminal" is on the starter. Usually there would be a spade connector on the starter as the signal wire to trigger the solenoid.
                              Is the field terminal the black wire? Its supposed to go to #15 on the X20 connector according to the above. Is its function to be the trigger wire from the ignition switch to "turn on" the starter?

2) Pin #22 on 60004 is VSS, is this a speed signal from ABS to ecu or is this to signal speed to the instrument cluster?

3)This question is more e36 specific so maybe I won't get an answer here on RV3. Where are people running their fuel pump relays? I seem to be all out of space on the side of my fuse box in the engine bay, has anybody got a picture of their solution? Run it into the car under the glove compartment (mine is RHD) or should I try to squeeze into the fusebox? Just looking to thrash out ideas really and keep the bay looking tidy.

Here are the old relays. ALso must add I don't think I need EKP module as I'm in europe.

Must say this forum has been a massive help to me. Even though I don't have an e30. Thanks and sorry for lurking!
                              Last edited by Dave V; 05-26-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X