No announcement yet.

S54 to E30 wiring information thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually US DMEs can run without the EKP module too. You just have to swap the pin for the relay activation and you can use a normal relay.

is there an aux relay holder like there is on E30s? on the E30, lots of people use the M3 harness cover which has slots for 3-4 relays.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't recall the field terminal. I want to say it's the little one. Also make sure to have a big fat cable feeding the fuse box from the starter/alternator, I left mine off and couldn't figure out what was going on for a good hour.

I'll have to check my wiring when I get home, but I did run a speed signal from the abs to the DME. I'm pulling the factory airbox off for...things...tonight, so I should be able to look at the starter wiring too.

I did put the fuel pump relay in the dme hole, but I'm LHD.

shameless plug: some pictures in my thread (in my sig) might help you with placement and ideas.

You also don't have to code out all the things listed in the first post, it just depends how many systems you want to have working. In my case, I only coded out EWS, and everything else is present and functional in my E36.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I think its the smaller one also but then on some other internet source I saw the coils in the starter refered to as the "field coils" so I'm slightly confused. I've also heard of terminals being referred to 30 and 50 which I'm not too sure about.

I'm not sure the DME requires the speed signal but maybe I can run it and code it out/cut it out afterwards if its not needed.

I you could look at the starter wiring that would be great, for something so simple its annoying to be stuck on it.

I'll have a look at the thead later, always good to get ideas aND MOTIVATION FROM OTHER THREADS.

Thanks Bimmerman!

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
        I don't recall the field terminal. I want to say it's the little one. Also make sure to have a big fat cable feeding the fuse box from the starter/alternator, I left mine off and couldn't figure out what was going on for a good hour.

I'll have to check my wiring when I get home, but I did run a speed signal from the abs to the DME. I'm pulling the factory airbox off for...things...tonight, so I should be able to look at the starter wiring too.

I did put the fuel pump relay in the dme hole, but I'm LHD.

shameless plug: some pictures in my thread (in my sig) might help you with placement and ideas.

You also don't have to code out all the things listed in the first post, it just depends how many systems you want to have working. In my case, I only coded out EWS, and everything else is present and functional in my E36.

Comment

just run the speed signal to it. The E30/E36 already have a signal that will work with the DME. you have to set it up to work with the "direct" signal (instead of being sent via the DSC unit that the E30/E36 obviously doesn't have) and adjust the K-factor but everything will work.

Without it unless you disable the errors it will likely go into limp mode.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by cek View Post
            Any more details on the cruise control module mentioned above?
            BMW Part number 65718380054

Wiring is as such: http://i.imgur.com/Xqys7o5.jpg -- I don't know if the E30 cruise control stalk has the same pinout as the E36 one, but if it doesn't, it should be easy to adapt.

You'll have to wire up the speed signal to the DME and set K_WEG_IMPULSZAHL to match the E30 speed signal (impulses per rotation * rotations per km)
            Set K_V_CONTROL to 00

Wire up a clutch switch to the DME and set K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL to 02
            Set cfg_s.baureihe and cfg_m.baureihe to 08 (E36/7 mode).

Also for fuel pump relay, just use a standard relay connected to X60004 Pin 10. Works fine even with US software

Comment

Anyone wired that cruise control module up and gotten it to work well? I can't read wiring diagrams worth a damn but would love to have cruise if someone could explain it to me a bit...ie why is the cruise control module listed twice, like its wired to itself? I can find the right colored wires based on the diagram I just never can figure out what the X___ things are

Comment

As Terra mentioned, that is the cruise box to use. I have it working in my car, all it takes is power/ground and a third wire direct to the ECU (the MFL line, if you read the diagrams). I don't know if it works with an E30 stalk.

You do need the speed signal input to the DME, as well as brake test/circuit switches and 3 pole clutch switch. The switches are easy (but, it doesn't work with the regular 2 wire clutch switch). The speed signal input either needs coding per Terra's instructions or a fully functional DSC unit (which is how mine gets the speed signal).

The X*** just means wire splices/junctions/etc.
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Yeah, X..... is just the name of the connectors.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well the switch seems to be constructed in a similar matter, so using the E30 one could be possible.

My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Just wanted to contribute and throw out some more information to help. X60004 (or A60004 for the connector) doesn't necessarily have to get snipped from the donor car. It can easily be sourced brand new by a quick google search:

X60004 (40 Pin):
                      Carrier Pivot Housing 12521744629 $5.23
                      Pins 1-20 Housing (Gray) 12521744631 $4.35
                      Pins 21-40 Housing (Black) 12521744630 $5.34
                      X60002-X60004 Pins (10) 61131393724kt $21.50

E46 Pedal Info:
                      Pedal (any E46 Pedal really)
                      Slider Bracket 35426772703 $18.68
                      Mating Connector 61138383300 $3.30
                      Connector Pins (6x) 12527510668KT $9.80

Notice that the pin P/N is the same. Very common Pin Type. The E46 Pedal is very ubiquitous and can be used with any S54, S62, S85, S65, or any of the M or N type engines. You can use either an automatic or manual pedal. The difference being that the automatic pedal has the detent at 100% throttle, you feel it in the pedal. Kinda of annoying, but it still works just the same.

Some more information on the pedal. in 2002, BMW issued a service bulletin for a "stick-slip" effect in the module. Affects a whole shitload of bodies (E38, E39, E46, E52, E53, E65, E66, R50, R53 / M47TU, M54, M57, M62TU, N40, N42, N62, S54, S62, W10, W11).

Complaint: In unfavorable frictional conditions, minor movements of accelerator pedal can only be made with sudden jerks ("stick-slip" effect). This occurs principally at high ambient temperatures or when hot air from the heating system has been fed into the footwell for a prolonged period of time.

You might actually have to replace the adapter plate too if that's the case.

All's I'm sayin' is be careful which ebay pedal you buy because it could be subject to this. I've had it personally and I'm telling you, it's annoying.
                      Last edited by Garageaholic; 07-21-2016, 09:30 PM.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                      Instagram.com/garageaholic
                      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Just to reply to my original question Pin 15 goes to the small positive input signal terminal on the starter motor.

Here is a link to explain what it does, it controls the unloader relay(s) disabling power to the accessories in the car while cranking.

Originally posted by Dave V View Post
                        I think its the smaller one also but then on some other internet source I saw the coils in the starter refered to as the "field coils" so I'm slightly confused. I've also heard of terminals being referred to 30 and 50 which I'm not too sure about.

I'm not sure the DME requires the speed signal but maybe I can run it and code it out/cut it out afterwards if its not needed.

I you could look at the starter wiring that would be great, for something so simple its annoying to be stuck on it.

I'll have a look at the thead later, always good to get ideas aND MOTIVATION FROM OTHER THREADS.

Thanks Bimmerman!

Comment

Originally posted by terraphantm View Post
                          You'll have to wire up the speed signal to the DME and set K_WEG_IMPULSZAHL to match the E30 speed signal (impulses per rotation * rotations per km)
                          Set K_V_CONTROL to 00

I understand how to edit a DME dump via hex, but how the heck do I find: K_WEG_IMPULSZAHL etc.

My guess I need the correct A2L file? (having a heck of a time finding one, have: HW # 7842975
                          Version: 2113 2200 2801
                          Program: 5.22 (02 0A)

Then use the A2L to locate the hex string? Or use TunerPro with an XDF, but cant find tap's xdfproject files from the DME DIY thread for the MSS54(HP).

Ideas, as the thread is darn near 400 pages long, it's still has not been consolidated enough to find this out for me.

Comment

the only A2L is for the original/older software (either 508 or 1801). So you need to look it up in the original file, then find the same string in your binary.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Gotcha, I thought I read that but did not bookmark that post as I should have. Now to find that darn A2L

Comment

Originally posted by terraphantm View Post
                                BMW Part number 65718380054

Wiring is as such: http://i.imgur.com/Xqys7o5.jpg -- I don't know if the E30 cruise control stalk has the same pinout as the E36 one, but if it doesn't, it should be easy to adapt.

Set K_V_CONTROL to 00

I believe K_V_Control should be 00? (Corrected for consistency)

Not sure the program version this A2L came from so do not reference the hex address if doing yourself.
                                /begin CHARACTERISTIC K_V_CONTROL /* Name */
                                "" /* Langbezeichner */
                                VALUE /* Typ */
                                0x1FDC /* Adresse */
                                CONST_0 /* Ablage */
                                100.000000 /* MaxDiff. */
                                F00272 /* Umrechnung */
                                0.000000 /* Untergrenze */
                                1.000000 /* Obergrenze */
                                FUNCTION_LIST Fz_Geschwindigkeit /* function(s) */
                                /end CHARACTERISTIC

Code:

/begin COMPU_METHOD F00272 /* Name */
                                "-*-" /* Langbezeichner */
                                FORM /* Umrechnungstyp */
                                "%1.2" /* Format */
                                "-" /* Einheit */
                                /* Formel */
                                FORMULA "TXTEQ(x::0 1 V direkt :2 1 V vom ASC :ELSE 1 undefiniert )"
                                /end COMPU_METHOD
                                Last edited by R3Z3N; 12-30-2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X