No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several times a day I'll see if this would have been updates. This is like a drug, needs more and more.

I did not want to come to advise, but you forgot the heat insulation, and you have yet to replace the brackets positions.

Like this:

M3 Sport Evolution 1990
    M3 215hp 1990
    318i 1988

My restoration project: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=399373

Comment

2.5 Years In... M3 Build Thread...PAINT COMPLETE!

Ah thanks for the positions! Do you have a pic of the other side? I have the heat shielding, bought it new because the old one was ruined. Will be running my negative battery cable soon as well. I have replated all of the hardware for it.

I cut my rear parcel shelf insulation sections last night. The factory insulation was dry rotted and brittle, but I didn't want to use the shiny sound deadening like Dynamat because it is so clearly aftermarket. I found this on amazon - much more factory looking and will do the job nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by CurrusDei; 02-09-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CurrusDei View Post
        Do you have a pic of the other side?
        Maybe this helps you.

I cut my rear parcel shelf insulation sections last night. The factory insulation was dry rotted and brittle, but I didn't want to use the shiny sound deadening like Dynamat because it is so clearly aftermarket. I found this on amazon - much more factory looking and will do the job nicely.
        How about original. PN: 51488165271 http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...?s=51488165271
        M3 Sport Evolution 1990
        M3 215hp 1990
        318i 1988

Comment

Thanks. I may try that, but the OEM sound insulation was not installed well - not sure if it would lay down as well. I'm planning to use a roller and heat to lay this stuff down flat to all the curves on the section of the rear deck.

Here's some other progress

Finally got this clip to plate right. Took a few tries due to its shape.

New radio antenna. Keeping the mast off for now.

All new sunroof mechanics

A series that shows how the front of the sunroof goes together. The copper tubing is what the sunroof motor mounts to, and the inner channels are where the cables sit that run through the motor. I installed one side for fit. Will take it back out and grease both sides.

On the topic of the injector wire cover, there is no separate part number listed on it. Comes with the wiring harness, and those are NLA. Best shot at getting one is probably to try to 3D print one. If there are enough people interested I can see if there's a 3D scanner around. Printing would have to be hi-temp and hi-res to make it decent looking and functional (a Makerbot wouldn't cut it).

Some other bits.

New clips on sunroof and rear sunroof bar

Oil cooler bolts, sunroof bits, and side view mirror bolts (left to right). Black bolts are black zinc. Black sunroof bits are painted.

New radiator grommets

Comment

Did some plating this weekend...

Got my method down on how to tie pieces together for plating. Solid contact with the wire but minimal footprint so it doesn't block plating.

Did a few pieces...

Including door strikers. Cleaned up the passenger side door lockbox and reinstalled.

Before

Plated. New rubber grommets

Assembled

Installed. Still need to clean the latch a bit

Closes nicely. More to come

Comment

So cool. I can't stop checking this for updates.

Comment

Results!

Comment

This weekend was eaten up by several things...among them replacing my 335's valve cover. But I did get this cleared off...

Comment

Been very busy lately, but some updates....

I have ordered a lot of parts - all small stuff, will be rolling out updates on them hopefully frequently

New inserts

First trim piece back on. Pretty proud of how my black trim came out next to this top quality red paint job.

New inserts

This part number is supposed to be the foam for the firewall AC box cover. It isn't. It does perfectly fit the rear trim though...

On

New license plate lights in.

New speed nuts

In

New seam lining

Insulation behind fuse box on. I had to re-buy this part because I cut before I looked and ended up cutting a part I need to remain attached to slide behind the bracket shown here. I carefully evaluated this time and cut with a scalpel for clean edges

New battery cover

I had hit a roadblock in my wiring harness reinstall. Wanted to reapply new fuse box labels with it still out of the car before reinstalling. I have several on the way, but one has confounded me...

I couldn't figure out the logo in the top right. Welll, is while looking for something else, I found this little beauty in a box in my garage, a SECOND label that I now seem to remember being over the first, which is blurry and illegible in the upper right. It has dried and peeled away, so I took it off earlier but critically did NOT throw it away.

This gave me the handwritten numbers I need as well as a much clearer logo

Google search, and....

New sticker is in process!

Finally, my zinc plating system was not working well anymore. When I checked my anodes one was worn down to almost nothing. Lot of plating! I ordered more from Caswell and the results are excellent!

Last edited by CurrusDei; 03-07-2017, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I can't find the words. This is so divine.
                      M3 Sport Evolution 1990
                      M3 215hp 1990
                      318i 1988

Comment

Originally posted by MukeM3 View Post
                        I can't find the words. This is so divine.
                        Current:
                        1989 325i
                        1988 M3
                        1987 325ic
                        Past:
                        2001 330ci
                        2001 M3

Comment

I'm blown away at the attention to detail and the quality of this restoration. Can't wait for more!
                          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

New trunk trim and rivets!

Bought the tire tote (in the bag in the tire well) to keep my spare in, keep it from marring the paint job

Door handle mechanisms

Raw

Plated

Chromated

Comment

Amazing attention to detail. The pics are proving very helpful for my own M3 rebuild.

Comment

Great! Glad they're helpful.

Love this before and after

So the new brake line holders I got for the firewall came in black. Not a big deal, but I'd rather keep the original white. Did some research and some thinking on how to fix my yellowed white plastic fasteners and came up with an interesting solution.

First, clean the obvious gunk off.

Then I used my espresso machine's steam wand to blast off the stuff I couldn't get with the brushes and towels.

Then we're left with just the yellowing.

There are a lot of hobbyist videos on youtube, particularly people who restore old electronics and computers, who use this hair care product to reverse yellowing on white and gray plastics.

Its cheap, available at Sally Beauty supply, and is a ready made 40% hydrogen peroxide cream. The hydrogen peroxide is the key. And it's form as a cream makes it easy to spread over all kids of parts.

You put it on the parts, in a zip lock bag, then place under a blacklight for a few hours

We shall see how it works. Definitely the most unique set of tools I've used...espresso machine, hair product, blacklight

Comment

Working...
                                X