No announcement yet.

Hennarot S50B32 M3 consumes my spare time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking great! What is the offset on those SSR's? I'm running 17x9 ET30 with Conti's on my late model and it fits perfectly (e30 m3 5 lug), I'll be interested to see where you end up.

Also, regarding the Conti's, put a short scuff cycle on them before doing any long runs and they'll be a lot more consistent over their life span. I would throw them on one weekend and just do one session on them when track temps aren't super high, then take them off the car, put them away and run them hard next event
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Man, you gave me inspiration to finish my S50B32 swap on my M3.
      1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
      1990 e30 325is
      1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
        Looking great! What is the offset on those SSR's? I'm running 17x9 ET30 with Conti's on my late model and it fits perfectly (e30 m3 5 lug), I'll be interested to see where you end up.

Also, regarding the Conti's, put a short scuff cycle on them before doing any long runs and they'll be a lot more consistent over their life span. I would throw them on one weekend and just do one session on them when track temps aren't super high, then take them off the car, put them away and run them hard next event

Thanks for the heads up! Would street driving suffice for a scrub in?

The SSR's are et45 I believe. What is your wheel/trailing arm clearance at et30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

It survived!

Untitled by ericandshovin, on Flickr

Comment

COTA, very nice! How'd you like it?! Did you go with the BMW CCA event the other weekend?

It looks at home in that picture...

Comment

Cool project :)
              https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
              https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

A bit of a picture dump. The photo's I bought from the trackside photog guys showed up a few days ago. Love some of the shots they got of the M3!

I have a few things I want to do to the car. Mainly complete a leak down test. I'm getting pressure in the coolant system and the coolant is being pumped out. Coolant looks/smeels perfect though. Also the car runs like absolute dogshit with the cams, at 6,000ft elevation and in alpha-n mode. Hopefully a tune will help that out. No sense in buying a tune if the motor has a headgasket problem though. Also not 100% happy with the suspension and brakes... that might be a big big overhaul.

anyways, on to the pics!

M50_1020 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

L50_9072 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

C52_8459 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

C52_6260 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

M50_4351 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

M50_4580 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

Comment

Such a hot car. Love it.

Comment

Beaut of a M3 track car = win
                    COTA = win
                    Combined = epic

Comment

Drove it to work on New Years Eve. Stuck the 18" Style 5's from my E28 M5 on there. The 235/35/18's rub badly on the front (25mm spacers needed to clear the calipers) but I think a 215/40/18 would work well actually.

The black wheels hide the massive amount of camber the car has, this is getting into bro-stance territory here!

Comment

<3 this car. Subscribing, just caught up on the thread.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Awesome photos! Thanks for some new desktop material :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            The black wheels hide the massive amount of camber the car has, this is getting into bro-stance territory here!

I don't think it is bro-stance, if you actually use the camber ;D

Beautiful car. I want a henna or orange M3. So I'm jelly!
                            sigpic
                            Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                            88 Alpine 325i
                            1/2 88 325iX

Comment

All has been relatively quiet on the M3 front for a while, but when you compile all these little things together, it becomes a pretty big update.

Back in late May/early June with the help of a bunch of friends and the hired hand of College Hunks Hauling Junk.com we packed up the house to move to Ohio.

I-70 across the midwest is such a boring drive, it was great to see this sign!

Days before leaving Colorado, I had the same guy who re-covered my rear seats do the fronts as well. I found the fabric on a UK M3 forum from a guy who lives on the Isle of Man. The rear bench was re-covered from the black leather seat that came with the car into Houndstooth a little bit before going to COTA. The fronts however are from a set of grey leather M3 seat's I've been holding onto for nearly 15 years! When I bought the M3 it had Recaro SRD's installed in it. I sold those and used my Recaro SPG's for a while but I've always wanted a set of sport seats for normal driving. I'm very excited to have these seats finished.

Also before I left Colorado, SSSquid had the car for a bit to try and make it run better. Most companies I called wouldn't touch the MSS50 DME, or said "oh yeah, we have a tune for it" When I countered with, I have Schrick cams, carbon airbox with no MAF and I live at 6,600 feet, roughly 20% thinner air than sea level, the tune they were just trying to sell suddenly wouldn't work. So the fact that SSSquid was local and was willing to take on this relatively unknown (in America) DME was a huge asset. Here is a vid of the car running after the Schrick 284° cams were installed. Listen to the sputtering in this vid. You can hear it just about any time I'm on the gas, but it's really bad at the 0:58s mark.

After some tinkering he was able to read the files, figure out my OE Tuning brand tune didn't really adjust the right tables at all and reflash the DME with some big improvements. Unfortunately this was the last flash the DME would accept, so while the car runs better, it's still buggy and cannot be updated. It also runs better at Ohio's 700' elevation! Here is a acceleration run in Mexico.

Unpacking the house, I stuck the M3 under one of our apple tree's for a few days as we worked on organizing the house.

Eventually I was able to clear enough space to park the car in the garage. Going from a 35x30 garage to a 2 car means that space is tight! I'm hoping we can build a shed behind the house soon.

After that run in Mexico, I sold the gold airbox, and the car basically sat all summer. I don't want to blow the motor because the DME isn't right, and I the throttle cable mounted to the airbox, so I'm throttless at the moment.

It even lived in the shed for a little bit

One night on one of the facebook groups a E34 M5 owner in San Diego posted his wheels up for sale at a reasonable price. Now, I'd been casually looking for these wheels on japan's yahoo auction sites for a while. I never found a square set in the +2 years I'd looked and now they was a set available a whole ocean closer! So I used the money I'd been saving up for a new airbox and bought my current dream wheels, BBS DTM aka RG152's.

A few days later UPS man brought a couple of boxes and I got to give them a test fit. Besides the visual design that I like, I wanted these wheels because I was pretty sure I could run them without a spacer, and they are wider than an 8 inch wheel so I could run a fairly wide tire.

Test fit:

Clear's the Wilwood brakes just fine. This is usually where spacers are needed, to space the back of the wheel spokes away from multi-piston calipers.

And it doesn't rub the struts. Apparently another set of wheels I have does!

I had a plan to run the 235/35/18 Continental DW tires currently mounted on my 18" Style 5's that were rollers for the E39 M5. However I needed to find wheels for the M5 before I could remove the style 5's. Another facebook group lead me to a fellow with factory E39 M5 wheels and brand new tires and a crazy story behind whey they were in his garage.

Once the E39 M5 was free'd of they Style 5's, I was able to do the tire swap and fit the BBS DTM's on the M3.

Before:

After:

The 18x8.5 and 235/35/18 with my current suspension settings fit perfect, I'm really glad it all worked out!

Test fit:

Currently, the M3 is back in the shed, while I work on the E30 touring in the garage, but I snapped a few photo's before tucking it away.

So what's next for the car? A few big things and some small things that I've been putting off.

- New carbon airbox. I'd like to find a CSL type one that is better quality that ebay, but not as spendy as Evolve...

- Aftermarket DME. I'm really debating between AEM Infinity or VEMS.
                              -- VEMS's big positive is that I know it will work with my S50B32 and I can run the full dual VANOS, and it's plug and play! Downside to VEMS is I'm not sure it will output CANBUS date to the data logger I'm planning on running (racecapture).
                              -- AEM infinity will talk with the racecapture datalogger, but I'm not sure it can control the dual VANOS on the S50. I know they have a plug and play kit for the S54, so I think it can talk to the S50, but I can't get a straight answer. AEM says they wouldn't know without having the car. Guys overseas that have lots of experience with the motor don't have much experience with AEM products. Another bonus for the AEM is the ability to run E85 which I think would be fun to experiment with.

- Datalogging, I'm fairly certain I'm going to go with a racecapture pro MK3. I'll probably buy another wire harness and use this unit in our endurance race car as well. Race capture is neat because it broadcasts your info to a tablet or phone, so you don't need an expensive dash. with a add on, you can broadcast over cellular to the paddock (great for our endurance race team) as well as storing the data in the box.

- MK60 ABS upgrade. 4 channel ABS? yes please! Pic in an E36, but it'd basically the same.

- E36 dual adjustable coil overs. Probably MCS or whatever is the hot newness on the market. I don't like running tons of spacer to fit the 17x9 wheels up front and parts are much cheaper than the gold bullion E30 M3 parts are cast out of. This is still at $10k upgrade though since I'd have to buy a new brake kit, but some of that will be recouped with the sale of the current suspension and brakes.

- new Brake master. The current one leaks a little.

- heater core replacement. I think the current one leaks a little bit, but it's peace of mine to replace it before I find out it leaks by having hot coolant dump onto my feet!

- New dash. I have a NOS dash that I've been sitting on for about 3 years. It's ready to go once I assemble all the parts for the heater core replacement. I am worried that this will turn into a massive project, especially if I pull the carpet "since it's already apart" and hunt for rust. I envision the simple dash swap will turn the M3 into this if I'm not careful:

That's all for now!

Comment

Those new wheels look right at home.

Just remember, once you pull the carpet you will not be able to unsee what you've seen. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X