Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boosty 30... track day, fun car (Now with a new owner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosty 30... track day, fun car (Now with a new owner)

I have sold the car, but the new owner said he may try and keep the thread updated.

I thought I would start a "build thread" so I can see my progress. I think its awesome to read through other people's builds and see were they started and how they got to were they are now. So here we go. I picked up the car in December of 2013. But didn't start working on the car until June 2014. I'd like to preface this won't be a fast project, cause life will probably get in the way. But I like to work on her when I get free time. Here is how she looked when I picked her up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0037.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	7240414
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0038.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	7240415
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0039.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	7240416

Its an 87' 325iS with just over 200,000 miles. I think the PO bought it as a parts car. Trade what parts he wanted, then sell it. As you can see, it was missing the iS valance. The interior had some miss matched seats, and it had an open 2.93 rear diff. But it ran well and the body seems in decent enough shape. And there wasn't much rust. So that's good :) We'll see where things go and where she takes me. Thought is to make it a weekend track / canyon carver.

And this is how she sits now. I'll try and keep this up to date so you can see the comparison.

[IMG][/IMG]

Suspension / Drivetrain
    H&R race springs
    Koni adjustables
    Kmac adjustable camber plates
    IE 22mm rear sway bar with adjustable links
    IE 25mm front sway bar with adjustable links
    Sparco Front strut brace
    Rear strut brace
    CondorSS offset CABs
    CondorSS Diff bushing
    Condor SS subframe and trailing arms
    3.73LSD
    ECS stainless brake lines

Engine
    CondorSS engine mounts
    Condor SS tyranny mounts

Interior
    Corbeau fixed back bucket seat
    Rear seat delete

Body
    RaceSkids skid plate
    Euro Grills
    Euro plastic front/rear bumper conversion
    Late valance with iS lip
    RyanG front splitter
    Homemade wood roof rack with Thule risers

Wheels
    Miro STP 1
    Front 16/7.5 with 205/40 and 10mm spacers
    Rear 16/9 with 225/50

Track wheels
    MTS 15x8" wheels
    Hankook Ventus R-S3 225/45/15
    Last edited by dugly52; 05-13-2021, 10:40 AM.
    sigpic
    Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
    88 Alpine 325i
    1/2 88 325iX

nice!

looks like a solid ride... hope you have fun workin on it

Comment

Nice! I have the same exact car... Get those IS parts back on there! aka, 3.73 lsd and early IS valance!

My '87 Alpinweiß 325is Build Thread | Parts FS | Parts Wanted | Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by jprastrullo View Post
        Nice! I have the same exact car... Get those IS parts back on there! aka, 3.73 lsd and early IS valance!
        Thanks. I picked up a late model valence and am eventually going to face lift the car. I've never been a big fan of the diving boards. And I'm looking for the 3.73 but they are hard to come by. Damn people wanting desirable parts...
        sigpic
        88 Alpine 325i
        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Playing catch up on the progress:

Starting the regular maintenance to make sure its running right. Oil change, coolant and spark plugs for now. Have the stuff for timing belt and water pump. Just need to figure out when I'm going to dive into it. OP said it was done not too long ago, but I figure better safe than sorry with these engines.

Also, picked up a skid plate. The trees have done some work on the road to my house and I don't want to bust an oil pan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	7169679

And I painted and got the late model valence put on with an iS lip. Also, got some euro grills and blacked out the chrome. Makes the front look a lot better.

Name:	IMAG0661.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	7169680

Now waiting to get my bumpers.
          Last edited by dugly52; 11-29-2014, 01:40 AM.
          sigpic
          88 Alpine 325i
          1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Little more:

Picked up a roof rack and some rimz. Although 18's might be a little big. Especially since I haven't lowered it yet. Kind of looks like a monster truck

Name:	IMAG0529.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	7169681

Painting new gutter trim in the background. Someone ripped it in half at the PO's house.
            sigpic
            88 Alpine 325i
            1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Nice progress! It looks like the car is cleaning up nicely. Are you going to do a plastic bumper swap or euro bumper swap?

Edit: 18's look pretty huge on an e30. I think 16's are about the biggest that look good. 15's are perfect.

Comment

Looks like a great start although I do agree with everyone, 17+ really need flares.

Comment

Lol holy shit them wheels are to big. The style isn't bad but yea they should be like 16's. Cars looking good thought keep it
                  Up

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                    Nice progress! It looks like the car is cleaning up nicely. Are you going to do a plastic bumper swap or euro bumper swap?

Edit: 18's look pretty huge on an e30. I think 16's are about the biggest that look good. 15's are perfect.
                    Plastic bumper. I have a sent being shipped.

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                    Looks like a great start although I do agree with everyone, 17+ really need flares.
                    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    Lol holy shit them wheels are to big. The style isn't bad but yea they should be like 16's. Cars looking good thought keep it
                    Up
                    And to all 3. Yeah, I picked up a set of 16" Miro wheels that are going onto it. I'm just waiting to finish the suspension and get it lowered. They 18's were a good deal so I figured f*** it, why not try it out.
                    sigpic
                    88 Alpine 325i
                    1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Little update

Finally finished my suspension. Lowered on H&R race with Koni adjustables. IE rear perches and strut bar, and front camber plates. Also, put on the Miro wheels I picked up, which look way better than the monster truck ones I had on before. And here are the pics.

Name:	IMAG0746.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	7171771

Name:	IMAG0747.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7171772

I was going for a run at Discovery Park. Peek-a-boo from the woods. (sorry for the cell phone pics :/

Name:	IMAG0750.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	7171770
                      Last edited by dugly52; 11-29-2014, 01:42 AM.
                      sigpic
                      88 Alpine 325i
                      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

nice. love a white e30. i have both a 3.73 and a 4.10 lsd for sale. pm me if interested. im way out in MA though.
                        "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
                        Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

I actually should be picking up a 3.73 this weekend. But if that falls through I'll shoot you a PM. I'm tired of my open diff, specially since its raining a lot now. Typical Seattle
                          sigpic
                          88 Alpine 325i
                          1/2 88 325iX

Comment

with those 18's it looked like a donk

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                              with those 18's it looked like a donk
                              haha, Yeah. Thats what I thought too. It did look better once lowered but I didn't get a pic with those wheels after lowering. But I'm much happier with the new wheels.

Not really an update. More to come shortly. Working on new sway bars, strut tower and new diff :) But I got bored while working on that. So Amber got an orange tail ;D

Name:	Orange tail.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7172116

Bring on the hate. (And if you are wondering why, it's a red head thing. I like orange)
                              sigpic
                              88 Alpine 325i
                              1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Working...
                              X