Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reCAPTCHA on the account registration fields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 5:00am I deleted 7 maybe? and also at 7:00am I deleted 12. But that is farrrrrrrrrr less then what I usually deal with when I jump on in the morning.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

30 this morning. :(
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I had the night off and went to sleep early, so nothing was deleted by me. But am I to understand with this plugin, when we ban them for spam that it IP bans them also?

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
          I had the night off and went to sleep early, so nothing was deleted by me. But am I to understand with this plugin, when we ban them for spam that it IP bans them also?
          Yes, however with this plugin it prevents them from registering in the first place.

Here is the latest log entry, Spam Log Viewer (page 1/3) | There are 1,117 total log entries.

so 1117 attempts have been blocked (insane)

Note this is community backed (the spam database) via http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
            please fix this, it's getting pretty bad

my suggestion, require all new accounts to paypal 1 dollar for posting access. problem solved.
            This could work. I'd pay to stay registered. This place is a BMW Haven and library. Totally worth one of my dollars.

Comment

Just doing a follow-up, between midnight and 7am I deleted around 20 probably. It is a improvement. Cause it was in the high 30s!!

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

why hasn't this been fixed yet? you could fix this so easily by requiring all new registrations to be approved or to answer a question that requires a human

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                  why hasn't this been fixed yet? you could fix this so easily by requiring all new registrations to be approved or to answer a question that requires a human
                  The spammers ARE human.

Even if we required all new registrations to be approved, how can we tell if they're registering simply to post spam? Some of the user names of actual members would easily be mistaken for spammers if we were making that kind of assumption, which is a big reason why we can't.

The unfortunate reality is that it's simply easier to delete the spam posts and ban the spammers after the fact, especially since James added the interface to a spammers database. It seems the volume of spam posts is on the decline from what I can tell.

Comment

Is there any kind of correlation between all the pile of shit spammers? Like E-mail domains?
                    I know one of the other forums (a model railroad one, yes even we are not immune to these less than human fuckwits) had to ban all questionable domains.

All I know is shit's getting out of hand.
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

The overwhelming majority of them use Gmail accounts.

Comment

Not sure what Bimmerfest and / or Bimmerforums are using, but whatever it is, it seems to be working.
                        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          The overwhelming majority of them use Gmail accounts.
                          Is there a way to implement a waiting period for Specific domains?
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Possibly, though one of the admins would have to weigh in on that.

Comment

I've postulated some ideas to James but he's pretty busy, haven't heard anything back on it. I'd like to see an "introductions" forum so at least if the POS spammers get through the registration process, all the spam can be contained in one forum.

Maybe another idea would be to limit the number of sequential registrations for each IP address/range. Since the spammers only seem to post 1 time from each account (they know they will get banned anyway), presumably there's one person making multiple accounts at once. We could limit that so they can't make several accounts within such a short period. usually when I ban them, there will be 10 spammers from the same IP address range.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Im not sure what you guys are doing, but it seems to be working. There is still spam but it seems to be a lot less
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X