Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The sleeping E30. Bringing it back to life after almost 10 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice

Nice starter for a build! I love the color combo. This will be one to watch!

Comment

Schwarz on Cardinal! Bitchin! Subscribed...
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Been a while since I posted an update. Got a bit busy with work, got lazy with the car during the holiday season, and did a little work that I did to my wrx. Started up on the e30 again this past weekend.

Engine and trans are back in the car after replacing the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Changed the timing belt and water pump as well.

Nothing is hooked up yet in the engine bay. Lots of progress has been made for the back half of the car. Currently working on putting the rear end back together after removing almost everything.

Dropped the gas tank just to check on the condition. My suspicions of it being no good were right - lots of rust in the tank and you could hear the sediment rolling around in the bottom of the tank. Bought a new tank and installed it.

Pulled the fuel pump assembly out and was greeted by more rust!

Also got the subframe back into the car after sanding off some surface rust. Gave it a bit of paint and installed some Garagistic bushings.

The rear diff got some love too with the sand, paint and bushing action. Bushing not pictured.

Same for the trailing arms, but I haven't put those back on yet. Hopefully this weekend coming up.

Oh, and the WRX gained an extra gear. Almost full drivetrain swap consisting of JDM 6 speed from bugeye sti, 3.9 R180 and sti driveshaft. This swap was so worth it. Really woke the car up and now you can drive it without worrying about breaking gears!

Next on the list is to continue piecing together the rear end and to order more parts. Need to replace the fuel pump assembly and I'm thinking about replacing the high pressure pump as well. The filler neck from the gas cap to the tank is very rusty. Hopefully I can find a solution for that without having to buy a new one at $250... considering options for this now. Few other odds and ends are on the way as well.
        Last edited by Ay Ron; 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM. Reason: typo
        2002 WRX - VF30 w/ supporting mods and now with a 6 speed!
        07/1987 325is restoration project

Comment

Man, 10 yrs of sitting in a wet environment. What a treat!

Excited to see where this goes.

Excellent stuff so far.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
            Man, 10 yrs of sitting in a wet environment. What a treat!
            Yeah, as soon as I opened up the door I knew I was in for it. The black mold behind the door panels worries me.

Even with a deep cleaning, I'm concerned about any mold spores that might be hiding in the vents of the dash. Not sure how to approach that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ay Ron View Post
              Yeah, as soon as I opened up the door I knew I was in for it. The black mold behind the door panels worries me.

Even with a deep cleaning, I'm concerned about any mold spores that might be hiding in the vents of the dash. Not sure how to approach that.
              Ozone generator.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Any updates on this car? Have almost the same car beginning almost the same bringing back of life...

Comment

Timely bump, I'm bringing one back to life after sitting 9 years in a field.

My fuel pump looked about identical to yours.
                  1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Triple bump for a similar car with similar history, where dem updates?

Comment

The answer is in the title.. The Sleeping E30

Also OP hasn't logged on for 1.166 years

Comment

OP here! Still working on it slowly, I've been really lazy about getting it back together, so its been sitting for the most part. I'll try to get some more pics posted here soon.

Comment

Where in Maryland are you?
                          sigpic

Comment

love that interior, looks like a great base for a project

Comment

Nice project, glad that it's being cleaned up right.
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by Broken88 View Post
                                Where in Maryland are you?
                                I'm located in the southern Maryland area, in Charles county.

Comment

Working...
                                X