Somebody please explain this to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody please explain this to me...

When I acquired my e30 and began posting on this site, I had to go through multiple iterations of a picture puzzle before my posts would upload to the forum. This was required for the first 10 postings and ostensibly was designed to weed out one-shot spammers. This is the only forum where this has been necessary.

So can someone please explain why there are so many egregious posts that contain useless non-e30 related hyperlinks? Who are these people, and why hasn't the administrator blocked them from posting? This is the ONLY forum where I have seen these sorts of posts. You can't tell me that these cretins have had the patience to clear the newbie captcha puzzle hurdles.

What gives?

go start any forum up and report back after two weeks and tell me how hard it is to keep them away. Years ago when I had a car club I used to have to go through 40-60 links a day and delete them and delete the 50-60 bot user names that were created over night.

This forum needs to have user name activation, its the only way it will fix it but its a shit load of work. If you didnt do it for 3 days you would have a 100 or so user names to go through and try and weed out the real ones.. which might only be 1 or 2.

it gives you the shits. and its hard work
    Boris - 89 E30 325i
    84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
      When I acquired my e30 and began posting on this site, I had to go through multiple iterations of a picture puzzle before my posts would upload to the forum. This was required for the first 10 postings and ostensibly was designed to weed out one-shot spammers. This is the only forum where this has been necessary.

So can someone please explain why there are so many egregious posts that contain useless non-e30 related hyperlinks? Who are these people, and why hasn't the administrator blocked them from posting? This is the ONLY forum where I have seen these sorts of posts. You can't tell me that these cretins have had the patience to clear the newbie captcha puzzle hurdles.

What gives?
      Uhm. yeah. If only it were that easy.

We probably block 100 spammers a day. I personally do about 20-30 and I'm not the only one doing it. Yes, they are definitely able to get past the captcha puzzle. I haven't seen the recent one (because I registered a long ass time ago), but my hunch is the answer is too short and the spambots either guess or the people hired to post spam just know the answer.

Where are they from? Probably India, China, Russia.. even the US perhaps.

Maybe you haven't been part of too many forums, but this isn't an issue that only R3v faces.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am having hard enough time trying to keep spammers away from my email account. Let's not talk about keeping them off a forum. Those damn spammers have a lot of smart computer geeks working for them.

Comment

how ironic I just banned a spammer from this thread..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X