Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I'm in there? Rear subframe

What's going on guys?

This is another one of those "what else should I do while I'm there?" threads. I think I've got my list complete (to get all this done is another beast), but I'm fairly new to this E30 game. She's an 86 325e.

So here's the deal, I absolutely HAVE to do rear subframe bushings and axle boots (inside and out, might as well, only one is still good). Might help to know I've already done ss brake lines, e brake cables, pads, rotors, springs, and shocks. So here's all the parts/tasks I've already got planned to do, I need your help to point out anything else I should do while I've got the whole rear end out of the car.

CV Joint Boot Kit Outer - 33219067810 (x2)
    CV Joint Boot Kit Inner - 33219067895 (x2)
    Subframe Mount - 33311130537 (x2)
    Trailing Arm Bushing Set - 33329061945
    Differential Mount - 33171128586
    Swaybar Bushing Rear - 33551129677 (x2)
    Swaybar Link Rear - 33551126932 (x2)
    Wheel Bearing Rear - 33416762317 (x2)
    Wheel Bearing Retainer - 33411124945 (x2)
    BMW Axle Nut Rear - 33411125664 (x2)

Any help is appreciated. I mean anything that I should do at all while the subframe is out, pertaining to subframe or not. Also, thanks in advance for dealing with yet another one of these types of threads. Some are very unorganized and difficult to read through all comments to decipher what is actually needed.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

I would also get new snap rings for the wheel bearings they sometimes get mangled when your trying to get them out.

33411138648 (x2)

probably a good time to check out your driveshaft. If you haven't already, I would look into doing the CSB (26121225152) and guibo, idk what the part number is ...RWD E30s are weird lol, IX for life :)
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Some people would say to do the brake tee above the subframe while it's accessible.

I'm not sure a new one will last longer than an old one unless you replace any corroded hard lines too. Also, if you leave it alone and it fails, you could just install the replacement tee somewhere a little more accessible.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I always replace the inner brake lines, the fuel filler hose and the rubber sleeve (bushing) for the filler pipe. All cheap and much more accessible without the subframe. May as well do the axle flange o rings and seals and diff cover gasket
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I did mine fairly recently, I installed the garagistic adjustable eccentric bolts and mounts, as well as sway bar tab reinforcements. The adjustable subframe is a great while you're in there, biggest downsides are cost and time to install and modify it, but I'm happy i got it in. As far as sway bar reinforcement tabs, I am not sure they were necessary, but I have seen a handful of tabs that are bent / broken and figured better safe then sorry.

Other than that I just installed the bushings you mentioned and SS brake lines. If you haven't done the lines from the T junction to the trailing arms, this would be a good time.

When I did my rear end, I recognized that I will probably be getting a different sway bar in the coming years, so I held off on the mounting hardware for those ( except for the end links to trailing arms, mine were SHOT!). If you need some help hit me up man!

Comment

I think the extras you're wondering about have been pretty much covered at this point.
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input. I took all advice into account and I believe I got everything I needed. I added the center support bearing, diff flange seals, cover gasket, and o rings to that list as well as a spring kit for my ebrake (2 of them were shot) as well as the brake shields as they are cheap and mine are torn up (don't ask why). I've already begun tearing everything apart and am about halfway done. Kind of a pain when the car isn't at school with me so I have to wait for the non gameday weekends. Again, thanks for the help guys!
              1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
              2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
              "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

If you go for the inner and outer GKN Loebro CV Boots for the following part numbers they are exactly the same. Neither kit includes the end cap circled in red in this BMW diagram.

Hopefully saves someone trouble in the future. They both point to the 300466 manufacturer number.

Source:

Comment

The boot kits I've bought from BMW have had the cap as well as a tube of hylomar
                  Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
                    I did mine fairly recently, I installed the garagistic adjustable eccentric bolts and mounts, as well as sway bar tab reinforcements. The adjustable subframe is a great while you're in there, biggest downsides are cost and time to install and modify it, but I'm happy i got it in. As far as sway bar reinforcement tabs, I am not sure they were necessary, but I have seen a handful of tabs that are bent / broken and figured better safe then sorry.
                    I gotta pick up new subframes front and rear.. How's ordering from garagistic? Just bought my e30 and would like to know if they are good to go or not.. Seeing peoples posts around here they seem reputable.. And I can +1 that broken swaybar tabs suck.. Costly fix for something that could have been prevented in the first place :p

Comment

Originally posted by RobTapps88 View Post
                      I gotta pick up new subframes front and rear.. How's ordering from garagistic? Just bought my e30 and would like to know if they are good to go or not.. Seeing peoples posts around here they seem reputable.. And I can +1 that broken swaybar tabs suck.. Costly fix for something that could have been prevented in the first place :p
                      Ordering from Garagistic is easy. Good customer service. Back on Black Friday of last year I ordered a whole pile of parts. Turns out the SS brake lines weren't included. Shot them an email, they showed up a few days later.

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
                        Ordering from Garagistic is easy. Good customer service. Back on Black Friday of last year I ordered a whole pile of parts. Turns out the SS brake lines weren't included. Shot them an email, they showed up a few days later.
                        Good to hear, thanks for the reply :)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in the process of doing my rear subframe as well. I ordered the rear subframe and poly bushings. I've ordered a bunch of stuff before and service has always been good. The core return is taking a little longer than anticipated, but I have faith that they will come through.

By the way where in BC are you?

Comment

Originally posted by iPee View Post
                            I'm in the process of doing my rear subframe as well. I ordered the rear subframe and poly bushings. I've ordered a bunch of stuff before and service has always been good. The core return is taking a little longer than anticipated, but I have faith that they will come through.

By the way where in BC are you?
                            The Island, I'm gonna have to basically rebuild my car over the next 2 years.. my GST this year should be rather large because for some reason I haven't received GST for like 6-7 years.. so I will most likely be picking up another e30 to daily while this car gets built in to a street/track car, hit me up on hangouts or something some time would love to chat about the project(s), my username is my email..

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X