E36 Rack Conversion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Rack Conversion Question

Just looking for confirmation on what I've found during research before ordering a kit to install my E36 rack...

On airbag cars (I have a 91 318is), you don't require modifying the steering connection correct? All you need are the rack spacers? Does this still apply if I am changing the steering wheel out to an M tech I wheel? I don't think it matters but doesn't hurt to ask!
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

All you need is the spacers and to grind the firewall.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Like z28 had said, for the rack swap, you simply need to use the rack spacers and to grind out the firewall a bit for the shaft to clear properly. No linkage modification is necessary for airbag cars.

For the steering wheel itself, you just need and extra spacer, part # 32-31-1-120-260, and it can be bolted up like any other steering wheel, regardless if the rack is stock or an e36 unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
        Just looking for confirmation on what I've found during research before ordering a kit to install my E36 rack...

On airbag cars (I have a 91 318is), you don't require modifying the steering connection correct? All you need are the rack spacers? Does this still apply if I am changing the steering wheel out to an M tech I wheel? I don't think it matters but doesn't hurt to ask!
        Originally posted by z28 View Post
        All you need is the spacers and to grind the firewall.
        Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to know.

While on the topic - is it worth doing a guibo delete or does it have much effect / benefit at all? Or is it better to just go poly with an IE guibo?
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

I'd stick with the rubber guibo there. If it were a track car the poly one would be the way to go but for the street I think it'll be a bit too harsh.
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
            I'd stick with the rubber guibo there. If it were a track car the poly one would be the way to go but for the street I think it'll be a bit too harsh.
            What exactly makes it too harsh for street use? Does the feedback from the road (potholes, cracks, etc..) come through the wheel more noticeably?
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
              What exactly makes it too harsh for street use? Does the feedback from the road (potholes, cracks, etc..) come through the wheel more noticeably?
              Yep. The rubber does a better job absorbing that stuff. Your "tolerance" may vary though haha.

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                Yep. The rubber does a better job absorbing that stuff. Your "tolerance" may vary though haha.
                Haha good point. Since my E30 is only for weekend fun use and not daily driven, I might try the poly guibo and see if its tolerable. My guibo needs to be replaced anyways whether I go OEM or poly.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

You'll probably be fine with it but again people's tolerances may vary + location matters too. Roads can be great in one location and shit (like here in NY) in others.

Comment

I did this modification to my 1991 325i recently. You need the spacers and firewall needs a little work.

Comment

Working...
                    X