Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to swap rear fenders between early/late models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to swap rear fenders between early/late models?

Hey R3v,

Asking a theoretical question. I've searched both on these forums as well as Google, and have yet to see anyone do this.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what it would cost to take the early model rear fenders that are bigger, and transplant them onto the late model? I understand there would likely be some cutting/welding involved, and I'd definitely take this to a professional shop to do it. I love my late model, but it bugs me like crazy that I can't get the wheel fitment and "stance" (for lack of a better word) that an early model car can get.

I'm assuming most people just buy an old model instead of going through this trouble, but I love my car!

Yes it can be done. I've seen one example in person.

No clue what it would cost, but can't imagine it being overly extensive.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I wouldn't do it. It's not that big of a deal. If the rear is too low on your late model, raise the rear suspension. Problem solved. Mind as well get flares or go Pandem or something if you're going through the trouble.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        Yes it can be done. I've seen one example in person.

No clue what it would cost, but can't imagine it being overly extensive.
        Good to know! Do you happen to know if that person is on any of the forums, or do you have any pics?

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        I wouldn't do it. It's not that big of a deal. If the rear is too low on your late model, raise the rear suspension. Problem solved. Mind as well get flares or go Pandem or something if you're going through the trouble.
        Definitely appreciate your input. For even fender gap on the front and back wheels, I definitely notice the pitch. Flares or Pandem would be nice for a dedicated track car, however I like it when things look subtle/OEM+.

For example, it's impossible for late models to sit like this:

The overall look is vastly different to me.

Comment

i don't see the issue. Even fender gap is easily achieved by lowering the front and/or raising the rear. My vert has uncut H&R Race springs without spring pads in front and extra pads in the rear.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            i don't see the issue. Even fender gap is easily achieved by lowering the front and/or raising the rear. My vert has uncut H&R Race springs without spring pads in front and extra pads in the rear.
            How does the car ride without the spring pads in the front? I have H&R race as well. Your car looks great btw!

Comment

I'd suggest that it would make a lot more sense to buy an early model than to spend $5k+ swapping rear quarters around.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Not sure if he's on the forums. I met him at the gas station, then saw the car on Craigslist a couple months later. It looked oem.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  I'd suggest that it would make a lot more sense to buy an early model than to spend $5k+ swapping rear quarters around.
                  Makes sense from a financial stand point. Perhaps when I have a chance to lease a car just for work, I'll make the jump to an old model (this is my only car).

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

I had to replace the rear quarter panels and tail panel on the race car out of necessity, and while it was just swapping like for like, there is a lot that would be needed to do the swap correctly.

You would need both quarter panels, the inner fender sheet metal (they are spot welded together on the wheel well seam), the rear panel, the taillights and the internal carpet panel if you want to keep your trunk look civilized. Then you have the bumper change, because the early quarters are meant for the diving boards/euro bumpers, and not the later plastics, so the gaps are not the same, as well the angle of the curve at the ends of the bumper.

So just in parts you are at a couple grand if you go with the new sheet metal (which if you're this far in to a project you really should be.)

In the end, yes, you'd be better off to just find an early shell and use it.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Anyone else get bothered when people say rear fenders... 1/4 panels bro. They are 1/4 panels

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                      X