Remote starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote starter

Anyone ever install a Audiovox Remote auto starter & car alarm keyless system on a stick shift E30?. Or any other remote starter system. Thanks.
    Last edited by franan; 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM.

Isnt it dangerous on a manual car?

Comment

i've seen a viper system installed on a s52 swapped manual e30, works perfectly. just be sure to remember to leave it in neutral.
      sigpic

Comment

Since the E30 does not require the clutch to be depressed when starting, I can imagine that it can be done assuming the gear is left in neutral. I do not think this is a good idea because many people would typically put the gear in 1st when the car is parked and off instead of using the handbrake.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
          Since the E30 does not require the clutch to be depressed when starting, I can imagine that it can be done assuming the gear is left in neutral. I do not think this is a good idea because many people would typically put the gear in 1st when the car is parked and off instead of using the handbrake.
          a lot of remote starts for manual have a safety feature that works like this:

park the car (engine running), pull the parking brake up, press the remote start button and turn off the key. Pressing the button will keep the car running after the key is out. Exit the car and closed the door. Closing the door will trigger the car to stop running. Remote start is ready to be activated and there is zero possibility that car was in gear when you exited it (it was still running).

Kind of a pain though: if you have to go back to your car for some reason and open that door, remote start will be disabled and you have to go through the above steps again to activate it.

Comment

Depends how enthusiastic you want to get but you could rig up a few micro switches on the shift mechanism so you know its out of gear. Probably need two micro switches, one for forward throw and one for rearward throw of the gear stick.

I wouldn't install a remote start system without some sure fire way of ensuring that it can never start when its in gear.

Comment

Or you can just remember to not put your car in gear.
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

that video has to be bullshit. how could it change gears by itself?
                sigpic

Comment

Nothing on the internet is BS, how dare you questions its integrity
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I didn't know remote starters could work the throttle and change gears. Not to mention the car should have started moving as soon as the starter engaged. That video is BS... scripted "reality" crap.
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                    X