Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A different approach to the v8 swap brake booster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You loose a master cylinder you are screwed. A line, not so much, but the master yes. I may have not put that in the most accurate statement.

The solid stainless lines should negate the risk of loosing control to the slave cylinder and second to that is just the failure of the cylinder itself. The lines are rated well above the working pressure of the other brake components and if inspected every so often I see no problem. It's all just a calculated risk.

Comment

Oh how I love threads such as these.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Why not just run a boosterless master cyl...?
        sigpic

Comment

Because then your brakes are shit for the street. I for one don't want to force a solid pedal down in an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            From my understanding...

It's completely different. The master cylinder has two separate reservoirs, feeding two separate circuits, and the compression of the brake pedal, and therefore the individual pistons, is mechanically activating each circuit individually regardless of the other circuits condition. If you blow a front brake line, you still have rear brakes, and vice versa.

With a remote system, if you blow that single line, you lose it all, there is no backup to help you slow down.

Correct.

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
            You loose a master cylinder you are screwed. A line, not so much, but the master yes. I may have not put that in the most accurate statement.

The solid stainless lines should negate the risk of loosing control to the slave cylinder and second to that is just the failure of the cylinder itself. The lines are rated well above the working pressure of the other brake components and if inspected every so often I see no problem. It's all just a calculated risk.
            What you fail to realize is that a master cylinder has 2 separate chambers in it, making it very unlikely for the entire braking system to fail.

You said if you lose a master cylinder you are screwed... so your response is to add in ANOTHER master AND a slave cylinder BEFORE the factory master that has a safety built in? You just tripled your chances for a catastrophic failure in one of the most important systems in a vehicle.

This is a cool idea, but a bad one once you investigate it thoroughly. Then again, you cannot teach common sense.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Ford used to use a system similar to whats being talked about.

Can see the booster in top right of this shitfull pic I found.

And bottom left of this slightly better pic
              sigpic

Comment

Many of the OEM's used remote hydraulic braking systems 30-40 years ago. They also had lap belts, drum brakes, rigid bumpers, etc. That doesn't make it OK by modern standards.

Go look at a cut-away view of a tandem master cylinder, and note the built-in mechanical failsafe if you lose a hydraulic circuit (regardless of whether it's the line, the caliper, or seal within the master cylinder itself that fails).

-Bruce

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah but naa. Be sweet as cuz.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kristov View Post
                    How is the pedal feel compared to stock E30 pedal feel?
                    It's more or less similar. The linkage is basically the same as in V8 E32 / E34, so it has the "factory feel" in it. :)
                    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                    - E46 318i Touring -
                    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

just gonna drop my 2 cents in this most likely dead thread. what about using a dual master slave setup with hardline running all the way from the masters to the slaves that are driving the booster?

Comment

Bump...check this shit out.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/search?q=servo
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Undoubtedly cool, but it seems to be British made, so I'm not entirely sure I trust it
                          Last edited by jalopi; 02-19-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Ya, but most of the brake boosters in BMWs are Lucas....

No electrics, so it'll work.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

solid point, just gotta watch out for rust then :D

Comment

A Porsche 914 master cylinder (19mm), with the Massive booster delete setup feels great.
                                Last edited by e30_302; 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X