Q: braking technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Propwash View Post
    It's not that it's "ok" to downshift. Its correct to downshift, downshifting is not really to slow down, its to avoid upsetting the car. Its funny alot of guys still think the brakes are only to slow the car down. The brakes can be used to "set" the car, to rotate it, or any number of things.

It's correct from who's view?
    Not all successful race car drivers drive exactly the same way so saying it's correct is only partially correct.
    Anyone that has even a little bit of track experiance knows the brakes are for more than slowing the car.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Propwash View Post
      It's not that it's "ok" to downshift. Its correct to downshift, downshifting is not really to slow down, its to avoid upsetting the car. Its funny alot of guys still think the brakes are only to slow the car down. The brakes can be used to "set" the car, to rotate it, or any number of things.
      This guy knows his shit. Brakes are a mood setter and decelerator. Left foot braking anyone?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
        This guy knows his shit. Brakes are a mood setter and decelerator. Left foot braking anyone?
        i left foot brake when i go into turns on this sick ass road near this trail i hike.

Comment

u should almost always use heel toe on E30 and RWD generally...

Comment

This whole discussion - what is "right" or "wrong" in terms of technique - is really subjective. Yes, there are things that the driver can do that will alter the balance of the car. There are times that it's best to just lift on the throttle and, yes, use the engine to slow down. But there are also times that you need to be at threshold braking while downshifting from 5th to 2nd. The only thing I would argue is that while each technique can work, look at what takes the least time without compromising the balance of the car.

Watch PROFESSIONAL road course drivers and see what they do. These are guys who will lose a race and a lot of money if they are a tenth too slow.
            Adrenaline. Speed. LEGAL!
            You built that car to perform, now learn to drive.
            Get On Track. You won't be sorry.
            SVTOA Performance driving instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by track6 View Post
              Watch PROFESSIONAL road course drivers and see what they do. These are guys who will lose a race and a lot of money if they are a tenth too slow.
              I am a professional driver. I have a class b FIA liscense, which allows me to race all the way up to GP2 or Indy lights. I agree with everything you said except the "5th to 2nd" shift. We don't do it simply because most of the time we're in a car that has a sequential box with straight cut gears. Its much slower and much easier to make a mistake with a multiple gear downshift. I can understand in club racing, but when 1/10th counts, we do what it takes to squeeze every last bit and through alot of data aquisition and testing, this is the fastest for OUR application. Results may vary per car, driver or whatever.
              "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

yes but stock e30-s have no SMG-s or similar sequental stratight cut gearboxes...
                BTW me a profi too, just a newcomer, class D :D

Comment

Originally posted by volgapower View Post
                  yes but stock e30-s have no SMG-s or similar sequental stratight cut gearboxes...
                  BTW me a profi too, just a newcomer, class D :D
                  Cool, yeah, I am being a bit close minded, heel toe should be recommended but not mandatory. Its up to the driver really, i don't think you should really worry about wearing parts out though. Everything that it could wear out (in extreme cases) are considred consumables anyway. Hmm.
                  "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

agree all depends on situation but on my E30 heel toe helps me keep my car fast and stable while shifting :)

for someone it may be unbelievable using this method, some just can't do it, some don't know how to... and there are some who don't know whats the use of doin it :)

Comment

I will say that the pedal position in the E30 makes the heel/toe real easy. I've driven cars that you couldn't reach the brake & gas with one foot!
                      Adrenaline. Speed. LEGAL!
                      You built that car to perform, now learn to drive.
                      Get On Track. You won't be sorry.
                      SVTOA Performance driving instructor.

Comment

thats right, and thats why i think BMW is the REAL DRIVER's car... all is done as it should be... except water cooling system :D :D :D

Comment

Working...
                        X