Helmets for n00bs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmets for n00bs

I'm planning on attending my first track event in the spring, most likely through NASA.

#1 do i need a helmet for HPDE?

#2 ill need a helmet eventually right? what should i get? I have no idea about price/features and all that, the price gap between helmets is huge. I want something full faced.

#3 is there any difference between a car helmet and a motorcycle helmet (assuming both are full faced)?
    --Will

Bells are good value. I have a Bell sport M3, it's comfortable and fits my huge head.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Motorcycle is not rated for flame retardant. So generally they are not allowed for track events.

Come to the triple Cross on the 29th in Richmond. It's auto X but fun anyway. Decent 3rd gear lot.

OG Racing is having a sale.

Comment

Also i believe motorcycle helmets are only rated for single impact and car helmets are rated for mutiple impacts

Comment

The Bell Sport III is a good buy, I have the Sport II and the Dominator. Any helmet is really only designed for one hit, but a composite kevlar lid like the Dominator will hold up if hit by alot of debris in a crash open cockpit style. It will also protect you in case of fire, but I doubt you'll be wearing Nomex anywhere else, so i guess it doesnt matter that much. Car helmets also have thicker sheilds. Imo, leave the bike helmets for bikes. Here's a pic of my older Sport II, notice the different shape of the shell, better for cars, the eyeport is also much smaller.
          Attached Files
          "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
            I'm planning on attending my first track event in the spring, most likely through NASA.

#1 do i need a helmet for HPDE?

#2 ill need a helmet eventually right? what should i get? I have no idea about price/features and all that, the price gap between helmets is huge. I want something full faced.

#3 is there any difference between a car helmet and a motorcycle helmet (assuming both are full faced)?
            #1- yes, you will definitely need a helmet for HDPE. Specs vary from group to group, but most groups now require Snell SA2000 or SA2005. Some will accept M2000 or M2005 helmets, but it's best to just get an SA rated helmet so you can run with any group. Check out www.smf.org for more info than you ever wanted to know about helmet ratings.

#2- yes, you will need a helmet. What you should get is up to you (see #1 for basics). You may be able to rent or borrow a helmet for your first event if you're not sure that you'll continue with track events. Try on helmets in person, sizes vary a great deal from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even some helmets of the same size of the same brand will fit differently. I have owned Shoei (Motorcycle), Simpson and Bell helmets, I like the Bell M2 I have right now alot.

#3- see www.smf.org

Racer Wholesale has some decent SA rated full face helmets sold under the G-Force brand, they seem to be well made and are reasonably priced. You may be able to find a good deal on an SA2000 helmet since the SA2005 helmets have been out for about a year now, just keep in mind that you may have to get an SA2005 someday, probably when the SA2010's come out. They re-certify helmets every 5 years, most HDPE organizers let you use helmet from the last 2 certification dates, so SA2000's will be OK until 2010 for most groups.

Here are some decent looking SA2005's from Racer Wholesale:

(they also have the SA2000's on clearance for about $50 less, but they only have really large and really small sizes listed).

Bret.
            Last edited by Rigmaster; 10-10-2006, 08:30 PM. Reason: added linkys

Comment

I have a g-force SA2000 open face that I got for $65 from their overstocked inventory last fall. I think it is a great helmet. Especially for the price.

Comment

is there any reason to go with a closed helmet such as the force 1 vs the open face. I only plan on HPDE days in my e30 or the Mroadster..

Comment

good stuff! thanks a lot guys.

The reason why i asked about the motorcycle helmets is that I wanted to know if i could use a auto racing helmet for a motorcycle. According to snell, SA helmets may not have adequete visual field for motorcycle use.

Ill probably specatate the triple cross in richmond just to see whats up. My car is pretty much ready for the track except for new brake lines and fluids in everything, but Im gonna wait for spring when i have more money and time to play.
                  --Will

Comment

Originally posted by Mot View Post
                    is there any reason to go with a closed helmet such as the force 1 vs the open face. I only plan on HPDE days in my e30 or the Mroadster..
                    Unless you have some sort of serious problem with a full face helmet, I'd get one for sure over an open face.

Do you have groups that will allow you to run the MRoadster in HDPE's?? Most of them around here would require a race roll bar or full roll cage and harnesses- the stock roll hoops do not qualify.

Bret.

Comment

A closed face helmet can protect your mug from glass and all sorts of small things flying around in an accident. Was'nt Earnhardt wearing an open face when he died? Can't believe they allowed that!
                      "If your going to make a mistake, make it a 100mph."....."But only on the racetrack".....

Comment

w/o a doubt your best $$$$ values are G Force and Pyrotect(sp?)....... call

Seanie or Ron(owner) at Discovery Parts....she may allow you to shop and return!!!Tell her Joel sent you. Great peeps.
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Ditto what Doc Kaplan said. G-Force and Pyrotect are good values.

If you have a race shop anywhere near you that sells them, go there, try one one - size is important. And unless you are going to save BIG bucks, buy it from the same place where you tried it on. Support the local guy who supports your hobby.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post
                            Unless you have some sort of serious problem with a full face helmet, I'd get one for sure over an open face.

Do you have groups that will allow you to run the MRoadster in HDPE's?? Most of them around here would require a race roll bar or full roll cage and harnesses- the stock roll hoops do not qualify.

Bret.
                            Lotus club of Portland actually considers the Mroadsters stock roll bars suffeciant protection, and word is so will the CCA. I bought my pops a nice M2005 Geforce 1. http://www.racerwholesale.com/produc...roducts_id=597

Comment

http://SoloRacer.com/helmets.html FTW!!!
                              Last edited by alex; 10-19-2006, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X