Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinting Plastic/rit fabric dye

]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips...c-windows.html

was wondering will this process work on taillights/sidemarkers/headlight lense?

if anyone has done this please chime in thanks

[

if the plastic is a different material then anyone knows of a transparent spray paint in this shade?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2015, 06:10 PM.

I've used rit dye to color plastic similar to the radiator expansion tank and it worked well, but I'm not sure if it will work with the tail lights. Only one way to find out! Try it.

Comment

dont have any junk/spare parts

Comment

there are really only two types of clear plastics - acrylic and polycarbonate. the taillights are probably acrylic (acrylic is scratch resistant & doesn't yellow as much in UV exposure). acrylic is typically extruded or injection molded.

I'd be willing to bet that model part is also acrylic. Polycarbonate is much stronger but less scratch resistant. the strength isn't really needed for a taillight.

so it will probably work. maybe. you really won't know until you try.. used taillights are pretty cheap too. though personally, I think tinted taillights are silly.
        Last edited by nando; 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

did some digging and found out rit changed there formula and wont work.
          there's a product called i dye poly

Comment

Working...
          X