No announcement yet.

Collectability of the E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually don't see prices rising much more beyond where they have (at least relatively speaking, we may see another 20% but I don't think its going more than that).

My belief is based on the psychology of buying hobby/collectable cars. The generation that is currently bidding up cars from the 1980s and early 1990s is the generation of people that grew up with these cars, they were born in the early 1970s and couldn't afford them when they originally came out, but now they are 40+ years old and have attained a level of wealth that affords them the ability to purchase the car that wasn't attainable when they were younger. This will continue to push the prices upward as long as the economy as a whole remains solid.

Eventually, we'll reach a point where these buyers dry up and the next generation of cars will become desirable or "collectible". You only need to look at the prices of the 1960's and 1970's muscle cars to see this in action. There was a period of time when these cars were flying for absurd prices, that has come down a fair bit as there aren't as many buyers for the cars and the next generation of cars became more desirable.

Eventually you'll see only the truly rare and original cars fetching collectible level prices, think the M3 cabrio and the Evo, maybe true mtechnic cars, the rest will settle out and you won't see much price increase after a point.

Those are my thoughts, could be BS, but it's my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rida View Post
      Yes they made many but still a decent performing European car with a timeless beautiful design. How many Mustangs did they make between 64-66?? And still it's one of the most recognizable collector cars ever! So it'll get there, just not as fast as Porsches have.
      Yeah but look at the prices of garden variety mustangs from that generation, they haven't moved much recently. Yes, a Boss 429 sells for big money or a Shelby GT 500, but if you are equating collector status with big payouts, the regular e30 variants will never get there, just like a 289 mustang will never get there.

So I guess you need to define what collector status means. Is it simply desirable for the longterm or is it a big price tag.

Comment

I think over time the value of the E30s will steadily increase, but nothing like we've seen in recent years with muscle cars on the auction blocks like Barrett Jackson or Mecum. I feel the basic principles for the demand will be there like we see with muscle cars today. Just look at the typical restored or resto-mod muscle car buyer......more often than not its a baby boomer, nearing or already retired, and has some money to spend on a car he/she dreamed of owning during their youth. Its possible a similar pattern will happen when Gen-Xers, Gen-Yers, and the Millennials hit their retirement years and are now longing for a car they wished they had (or maybe had but had to sell) during their youth that they would love to experience again.

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Pretty sure e30's will follow the Mini Cooper market. $7-10k for a driving example, $20k for something special like a nice IS model. I'm not sure if M3's are really going to go up much more. $40k buys some other cars that are at least as awesome, with much lower production numbers.

M Techs seem all but forgotten, not sure what's going on there. I guess they made so few of them that many people aren't even aware they exist.
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
          X