Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct vent boost control.
    1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

For now it's just proof of concept. Once I know it can hold boost down by itself I will be plumbing it right into the downpipe.

Comment

Might have to go to a Turbosmart hyper gate to get clearance for the hood. Fun

Comment

Test run shows a great hold capability. Holds almost a perfect 11psi.

Comment

its weird you have issues with your wastegate
              I have the same manifold with the same 44 Tial MVR routed to my 3" downpipe and I dont have any issues @ 13 psi !!
              where do you get your wastegate vacuum line ? I tried it form the compressor housing had some issues , then I tried it from my intake manifold and it worked flawlessly
              My G260 is also is still holding @ 400 whp
              although my Lsd 3.25 started whining:(
              Last edited by JOMARO; 02-02-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah I think the GT3582r is to spook happy to make low boost with the manifold.

Comment

Right off the turbine housing? I was thinking about doing that or trying to route the current tube up beside the downpipe, but haven't decided.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Right off the turbine housing? I was thinking about doing that or trying to route the current tube up beside the downpipe, but haven't decided.
                    There may be room but the WG wouldn't be in the path of flow if you went under the downpipe and off the existing feed. The WG housing provides me the befit of by very much so in the flow and with any luck the Eboost 2 will be able to ramp me up and down so I can truly use it like a boost selection device.

Comment

I had to massage my sheet metal a bit to fit the 38mm wastegate on the m20.
                      Good to hear its holding boost now, I doubt you would get traction with 5 psi with the roads the way they are atm.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
                        There may be room but the WG wouldn't be in the path of flow if you went under the downpipe and off the existing feed.
                        It would be much more in the path of flow than it currently is on my manifold. Out the current spot, but then 90 off to the passenger side and up to clear the downpipe. Ends up in almost the same spot as yours is now.
                        Only reason I'd bother to do this instead of right on the housing is because the other car already has an external WG, and it would be nice if I could swap turbos between cars.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think I went from boost creep to boost seep. I was doing some testing and using my Eboost to try to make more than spring 12 psi and I appears that the car is not happy with that. I think the wastegate location and 10# spring can't keep it closed with the wastegate top being open to atmosphere. I swapped it for a stiffer spring and I am going to reconfigure to a two sided setup to try to have the boost hold it closed from the top.

Comment

What manifold is that? I have never seen the wastegate set up that way in an e30 before.
                            Originally posted by Good & Tight
                            It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Originally posted by agile30 View Post
                              What manifold is that? I have never seen the wastegate set up that way in an e30 before.
                              The manifold is a good n tight with the WG capped off. It couldn't keep up with my quick spoiling gt35 so I had the hot side vented directly.

Comment

Project will be getting back under way soon. I have a 3.25 to swap in a ZF320 that has just had the pin service a driveshaft adapter, chromemolly axel shafts a UUC DSSR and an AKG shifter to install now to mention the solid motor mounts, because the engine is currently rocking 2 inches to the right under load. Then I can get to the dyno and hopefully start to get the AFR's in the 11s at redline under WOT.

Comment

Working...
                                X