1997 E36 M3 S52 OBD2 - VANOS and misfire codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 E36 M3 S52 OBD2 - VANOS and misfire codes

Just did a head gasket job on a 1997 E36 M3 with S52, shark injector tune and M50 manifold conversion. We got the car all buttoned up and back together, and it runs great, but it's throwing a few codes that it didn't have before and does have a very slightly (and I mean very slight) rough idle.

I have a feeling the VANOS is out of time, but before I go tearing the whole car apart again, I figured I would come here and confirm my suspicions...

I get the following codes out of my Snap-On Ethos:

VANOS - mechanical fault - 212
    Misfire Cyl 5 - 242
    Misfire Cyl 6 - 243
    Misfire Cyl 2 - 239
    Misfire Cyl 4 - 241
    Misfire Cyl 1 - 238
    Misfire Cyl 3 - 240

The only thing I have to add is we installed NGK BKR6EK plugs - copper. I've had various experiences with both BKR6EQP and the BKR6EK on OBD1 and OBD2 cars, so the copper plug was my first resort. I doubt that the copper plugs would have an issue like this, but it was worth mentioning.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Austin
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

I run the same plugs in my 98 M3/4/5 without issue. I also ran those same plugs in my S52 swapped E30, which ran like an absolute dream with them, for years. I would rule those out.

I just did a headgasket job on my M3 as well, and I am thankful I didn't have this issue when I finished it.

I don't have enough experience to give you a solid answer to this, apart from BKR6EK plugs working very well for me for about 7 years now. Anyways, did you follow a write up when you were reinstalling the vanos system? I followed the pelican parts write up myself.

Vacuum leaks can cause false misfire readings/banks running too lean codes as well. Checking for vacuum leaks is a lot easier than pulling the whole vanos system apart again.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Did you connect the ground wire that goes to one of the Vanos/lifting hook bolts? I know for OBD1 it is a ground for the coils (and maybe the Vanos solenoid too).

Comment

Sounds like it's out of time. Double check your procedure on how you installed the vanos. Don't suck the vanos gear in too far. The face of the unit must only just touch the head (without the gear moving in any extra). Then tighten everything.
        PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Vacuum leak?

Also my cam sensor was bad and only threw a "Vanos Mechanically Jammed" Code. Easy to verify/check without pulling anything by looking at what the cam signal looks like in INPA.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Double check that you didn't mess up your timing man (bottom and top) its also easy to screw up the VANOS timing as well.

We just had a mechanical jam issue with a customer car. Re-timed and the code went away.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
            X