m52/zf320 - Flywheel/Clutch Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52/zf320 - Flywheel/Clutch Woes

Hey guys - I bought a '96 e36 M3 chassis to put my m52 in (got a good deal on the chassis, needed something to put this engine in etc..) Long story short, having issues with the flywheel/clutch setup - this was all installed in an e30 I parted out, the setup WAS: m52>dual mass m20 fw>SPEC 6 puck clutch>Sach's PP>G260.

The setup is currently the same except I swapped the G260 for the ZF320 that came with the M3. New ZF throw-out bearing installed. M20 starter.

Got the car running - and there was a screeching noise coming from the transmission that changed/went away briefly when the clutch was depressed. I then noticed that I couldn't put the car in gear when it was running, the car would go into gear when the engine was off - I started the car while it was in first gear, the screeching noise wasn't there at all. I let the clutch out to the engagement point and all seemed fine - car started to roll forward as it should.

I just pulled the transmission - couldn't really find any red flags. Some slight metallic dust around the trans side of the clutch. The throwout bearing seemed to have a lot of markings on it for what basically was 5 min of run time. On the contact side of the flywheel there was impressions of the pucks on the clutch - is it possible that everything is sandwiched tight somehow? (By way of an incorrect combination of parts) I'm thinking I either have the incorrect throwout bearing or flywheel...? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

iirc you need to use the clutch setup for the tranny you're using. So, you'd need to get a clutch kit for your zf

Wait, you put an m52/g260 in an e36 m3??????????????????????????????????????????
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      iirc you need to use the clutch setup for the tranny you're using. So, you'd need to get a clutch kit for your zf

Wait, you put an m52/g260 in an e36 m3??????????????????????????????????????????
      Negatory. M52/zf. Engine has Sunbelt cams/ARP's

Should be able to use m20 single mass.. I think. Going to try that.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

False. You just have to use a matching starter/flywheel/clutch. So if you want to use an M20 flywheel you need an M20 clutch and starter. If you want to use an M/S5X flywheel you need to use an M/S5X clutch and starter.

Comment

I think you are using the wrong throwout bearing. You need an M20 throwout bearing I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
            False. You just have to use a matching starter/flywheel/clutch. So if you want to use an M20 flywheel you need an M20 clutch and starter. If you want to use an M/S5X flywheel you need to use an M/S5X clutch and starter.
            Right.

I think you are using the wrong throwout bearing. You need an M20 throwout bearing I believe.
            I think you're correct - what I might do it space the TOB out a bit to make up for the difference, since I already have a new TOB. Adding a small amount of material to the clutch fork will be pretty simple.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

That will probably work. Let me know how it turns out. I don't think buying an M20 throw out bearing new would be very expensive if that doesn't work out.

Comment

That will probably work. Let me know how it turns out. I don't think buying an M20 throw out bearing new would be very expensive if that doesn't work out.

I think I will be okay with the ZF TOB actually, got the trans propped in yesterday - found my slave was shot. Probably the cause of my original issues.. The m20 single mass, clutch disc, and correct Sach's PP (small dowel, only one that matched up with the m20 FW) actually measured up the same height as the original s52/ZF dual-mass stack. New slave this afternoon, hopefully wrap it up tonight and test quick before everything goes back together.

I'll post my results. I noticed some squeaking with the dual mass flywheel, wondering if that wasn't the cause of the squealing. We'll see.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

The TOBs are the same between e30s and e36s link and actually many other bmws as well. Likely your trouble putting the car in gear when running was due to the bad slave not totally releasing the clutch.
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                  X